HybridZ

Interim Solution

The dead 240 in my garage is slated to get a v-8 when the house is finished, but a free 280z engine has just shown up.

If the 280 head is drilled & tapped for my 240 manifolds, will this just drop in?

How deep can I drill before striking water?

Can I safely grind out the circular tin liners in the 280 exhaust ports should it be necessary to pull the head for some other reason?

Anything else I'm missing???

Thanks-

No drilling required. Sounds like you have a ZX engine with a P79 head (the steel exhaust liners).

This is the same as what I'm currently running. My 240 intake manifolds bolted right on. Nissan kindly made the newer head backward compatible.

The exhaust manifold will have to come from the ZX though, since the 240 heads (e88 and e31) have square ports. I bought an MSA 6 into 2 header. They sell a round port one that doesn't have the emmissions holes in it.

I'd leave the liners alone. You'd have to have some machined Aluminum inserts made and pressed in - not worth it. The steel is at least smooth and free of casting marks. It's only purpose is to heat up and "afterburn" left over hydrocarbons and NOx.

Beware though - if that motor sat for awhile, chances are that the valve seals are shot. My motor had a claimed 60K miles on it, which I believe. Good compression all around, but it had sat for probably 6-7 years and the seals were completely toasted.

Thanks- hope the same answer applies to the N47 head.

I was wondering about just grinding the liners out & having large native aluminum exhaust ports, but only if the head needs to come off.

the 240 engine is seized, or the old 280 wouldn't be considered. I've no idea how much life may be left in it. icon_smile.gif