HybridZ

Maf placement, RB26dett swaps... Im stumped!

240zdan

I have been working through the bugs of my rb26 powered Zed.

I am running the stock turbos, ecu, and mafs.

Does ANYONE here have any photos of how they routed their intake piping? My MAF is only a few inches from the turbo, and I get very bad popping, hesitation, and very poor power/gas milage. The other maf (rear turbo) is about 16" away from the turbo, so i think that ones fine.

Any info/suggestions please.

This is definetley my problem, as unplugging the mafs and running on limp mode makes the car run better at lower rpms. with the mafs plugged in i am constantly flooring it just to make it up a hill.

I am ready to bite the bullet and buy standalone if thats what it takes, I cant stand my car driving like this.

I had my maf's connected via silicone couplers straight to the turbo inlet flanges. I had a 45 degree on the rear turbo and a 90 on the front. On the other side of those I had some rather large K&N filters. It worked and everything fit under the hood. I eventually decided to ditch the MAFS and went with the AEM stand alone. I also had the intake piping rerouted to the front on either side of the I/C. Because the cusom piping was rather costly I did not want to incorporate the MAFs only to redo them later. It is a big jump to go from stock to a stand alone ECU. At least it was for me.

As for your problem are you sure the MAFs are both working? It sounds like its running pretty crappy with them connected. I would be willing to part with my old MAFs, couplers, and filters if you want to run stock for a while. PM me to talk about price. There just sitting on a shelf in my garage

I had huge problems running MAFS as they were too close to the turbos...When I changed to bigger turbos the problem was even worse...worse turbulence. I went with Apexi D-jetro (MAP based) and ditched the MAF's and the car runs smooth as silk. As 240ZDan has mentioned moving the MAF away from the turbo will help greatly but you are limited with space...my tuner recommended about 10 inches from MAF to turbo...good luck!!

yeah i still get an idle drop when i let off the gas. then after a few seconds the idle jumps back to where it shoudl be. Im just going to live with it until I ditch the MAFS.

Mafs are not the way to go!

They may work good but its damn near impossible to set them up properely and elegantly in a s30 chassis.

I am having the same issues with my RB25 Power FC right now. I've got a D-jetro in the mail, but just something you might want to try; we put a smaller 2.5" pipe inside my 4" intake pipe. Fitted it so it was surrounding the MAF element. It's straight and about 4" long. It really seemed to help on the turbulence. Made it a lot easier to tune and got rid of a lot of the hesitation and strage idle after lift.