HybridZ

starter wont fit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well i have a 350v8 and unfortunately i have no clue as to what year the block is. i got a starter for an 80's cAMARO WITH a 350. though i am pretty sure the motor is more from the 60's or 70's. the bolt holes are virticle into the block for teh starter as were the holes on the starter. but they were not lining up. about a half inck on one hole. my question is if the earlier 350 block had a different bolt set up than the later modle.

zach

Guest fordguy57

I'm not real familiar with the GM stuff; though from looking at my starter/flywheel/block I would guess that there are probably different starters or starter nose pieces available to accomodate different diameter flywheels.(Starter would have to be further inboard or outboard - depending on which size your flywheel is....)

Just got the 327 Chev with Ford toploader in my car over the weekend and my 1967 starter and block matched up with the '83 Iroc small diameter flywheel I used... Perhaps the starter you have came from a car with a larger or smaller flywheel than the one you are using.....?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I can't recall off the top of my head and its been months since I bolted mine up, but one starter has the bolts offset, the other straight across. This has to do with what flywheel (164t or 153t) it uses. Not all the chevy starters will clear the framerail, so make sure you use one of the ones JTR suggest. I used a medium sized 85 camaro starter (mine came from a 305 but turns the stock 350 over fine). Also remember to specify what the trans will be, it DOES make a difference. JTR didn't really mention that, but the Manual trans needs a slightly longer nose starter than the automatic (at least mine did with the T56/centerforce flywheel). I had an automatic, so just went to Kragen and got a manual starter rebuilt (under $50.00 I think). Worked fine.

Many of the small gear drive starters will work with either flywheel, but they do cost a bit.

Regards,

Lone

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]