HybridZ

Headlight Problems

Guest 1z2c

I have a 78 280 z.Cant get the headlights and blinkers to work. Not getting juice to the headlight fuse at the fuse box.Trace the wires over and over.Still cant find the problem.Is there a headlight relay somewhere.

If so where is it.Worked on this for three days.The second day i had headlights and blinkers.Dont know what i did.On the third day went outside to try the lights and nothing.I put a test light on one of the shunts in the engine conpartment and only one has juice.Any suggestions. icon_confused.gif

By "shunts" do you mean the fusible links? If so, is the one that's not showing power dead on both ends? that is about the only thing between the battery and headlite switch that can go out-sometimes they don't totally melt thru when they go, the insulation can still look OK.

BTW, no, there is not a relay for the headlites--but a good fix is to put one in; if you like, I'm sure one of us can probably scrounge up a drawing to help you get em wired in (I figure Pete the relay king has one, but he's probably got his hands full about now)

Keep us posted,

Jim

There was a complete writeup here on how to install a headlight harness with relays before the last site redesign (cough). It was mine. All of your headlight power goes through your switch on th estalk - that sux. I'd be checking there for popwer as well as other places. Certainly check the fusinble link first but the stalks contacts burn EASILY and after very little use my brand new brushes were burned. Be careful and use relays... icon_eek.gif

jimzdat...buy shunts i meant the linkable fuses in the engine conpartment.The 2 little boxes on the passenger fire wall. There is no power from the wires,and at the linkable fuse.One has power and the other has no power.The one without power i think is for the headlights. When i run a hot wire to it the lights work.But the wires get hot.I guess i will keep traceing the wires till i find out why one of the linkable fuses dosent get any power.Thanks for the info.

icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: 1z2c ]

BLKMGK....I searched for the write up you did, but just cant find it. To your reply,im not getting any power to the headlight switch.Just to one wire in the headlight swith has power. Where the headlight switch plugs,the wires and plug is getting hot.Also on the fuse box there is two rows of fuses.One side is hot the other side is dead.If i run a wire from the hot side of the fuse box,to the headlight fuse on the other side the headlights and blinkers work.I will pull the blinker and headlight switch of and try to clean it,the see what happens.Thanks for your info. icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: 1z2c ]