HybridZ

Donor debate: 240Z vs 280Z

Guest Anonymous

Just FWIW - my 240 had minimal pounding done on the tunnel. It's close in some p[arts and I wish I'd trimmed some little spikey "ears" off the trans by the reverse switch but overall it fit fine. Where it was too close I slipped a crowbar in and pried a little. I had to swing a mallet very little and mostly up front by the bellhousing. (shrug) Once you cut out the stock trans mounts it's really not so bad - don't let this dissuade anyone from the 240.

Back to the subject of VIN replacements for a moment...

when you run a Carfax report on a VIN, that tells you not only when and where the car was registered, but gives inspection information as well. This seems to indicate that this information is stored in a central database somewhere. If you pulled the VIN tags off a junked car, I think it might be possible that someone would eventually notice that a car with a Junk Title is, all of a sudden, pounding the pavement again.

And if your car was ever impounded for something like a parking violation, what VIN number is on your title? If you can't prove that you own the car, you might not get it back!

I'd steer clear of this kind of thing, myself. It just gives Johnny Law one more avenue for prosecution, if you're ever in a marginal situation.

when you run a Carfax report on a VIN

You'd be OK on this one, as Carfax only recognizes the "standardized" VIN format that came out in the early 80's (unless they've changed something lately)

quote:

If you pulled the

VIN tags off a junked car, I think it might be possible that someone would eventually notice that a car with a Junk Title is all of a sudden, pounding the pavement again.

This, however, is a very valid point--taking the VIN from a car that has had the title marked as "salvaged", like some states do, would cause a nightmare when it came time to register it. OTOH, if the cars in question both happened to belong to you, it might be possible to actually get away with it icon_smile.gif

Just my $.05 (inflation)

Jim