HybridZ

Rear Upgrades

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, things are coming together on my 82 280 zxt.The engine should be putting out well over 400 HP and bolted to a 350th with 3500 stall. I'm going to be running the 22x8 inch M/T ET Drags. ARe there things I can do to strengthen the rearend and hopefully prevent breakage? What options do I have for bolt on shocks? Hope to be racing soon, and I don't wanna start putting axles in after the first trip out.

Hrm, since that's a ZXT I believe you may already have CVs which is what most of us upgrade to. IF that's the case I think you'll want to watch the driveline angles and make sure it doesn't squat so far the tires hit the wheelwell - that's apparently the quickest way to trash a shaft! Wheelhop is also supposed ot be VERY bad for these cars so be careful in the bleachbox etc.

Did I miss anything guys? Oh yeah - have you strapped down the front mount on the R200 diff? If not you'll want to fortify that thing! icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

Just out of curiousity, how does a solid diff mount work with a 400 hp engine a slicks. I've heard a lot of people say slicks hurt the rear end because of too much traction, and the R200 just doesn't stand up. Les

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure that slicks would hurt the center section, the u-joints or cv's and stub axles are where you'd have problems. Some guys here are putting 500 ft/lbs or more to them and not breaking the 3rd member. Its a good rear end, its only big gripes would be LSD is expensive (for a R200) and gearing is a bit limited.

Regards,

Lone