HybridZ

Info for Z car problem areas?

PETEW

I thought there was a site that had nicely grouped info on where to look for problem areas. I am getting ready to look at some cars and want to know what to look for, so I don't buy a basket case. I know frame rails are an issue and the battery tray can be a problem, but what else?? Any info for a web site or just advice from you guys would be much appreciated. I am looking at 260 and 280z, mostly due to the fact that they are cheaper than the 240's. Thanks.

Guest JAMIE T

You are on the right track on what to look for. I have two 240Z's. I got the first one to build a Ferrari 250GTO replica with, it was completely gutted, had no front sheetmetal, doors, hatch, just a pretty straight, clean shell with a rollcage in it. Those missing parts are not a problem since most will be replaced anyway. The other one, I got about a month ago and have already replaced the floorpan and the floorpan supports(I think they call them frame rails, but they are not much of a frame rail. I have real frame rails now.). Now, this was no problem for me since I am a welder who finds pleasure in torturing myself(I did it on the hottest day of the year here in Richmond. No, I didn't plan for it to be the hottest day either). Oddly my front frame rails appear to be in ok shape. There is rust through between the front frame rail and where the floorpan support meet. The car runs too good for me to mess with that right now though. Sometime between now an when the car recieves it LT1/T56 transplant, I will replace the front frame rails and the above said location with .120 wall 2 1/2" square tubing as described on PParaska's website. So to sum up what to look for, rusted floorpans, if it has carpet in it, pull it back and examine it carefully(my car didn't look like it had much rust when veiwed from underneith). The ledge in the rear by the hatch latch(y'all liked that one icon_biggrin.gif) rusts out also. Body filler. Bubbled paint. Everyone here will tell you to get the best car you can afford. You don't want a $5000 bodyshop estimate if you can't do the work yourself. Its not likely you will find a rust free car in PA unless it has recently been restored or brought here from the southwest. Search the net and even call some AZ folks and ask them if they know of any cars for sale. Goodluck with you search.

Jamie

DEATHSTAR