HybridZ

stock tach calibration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I recently installed a 93 lt-1 in a 76' 280. Is there any special trick to calibrate the stock tach? I ran the tach lead from the lt-1 to the stock tach but I get no response. If I jumper from the trigger side of the coil I get a very erattic signal that will not calibrate using the adjuster screw. I am digging into the opti-spark unit tomorrow, as the engine is experiencing a classic timing/intermintent stalling condition from a failed opti-spark, which could cause a problem. I know the tach works properly on a conventional ign. system. Has anyone sucessfully hooked up a stock tach to an lt-1, or am I wasting my time?

Guest super280z

hey Mikey dont drill into the optispark!!!

thats not the problem. and dont waste your money on a new tach. your problem is in the wiring. according to the JTR manual you have to install a 15K ohm resistor (radio shack)in the blue wire going into the Tach. this should solve the problem. good luck and post some pics! icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks very much for the reply, it helped out a lot! I guess I should get a copy of jtr's conversion manual. As it turns out the opti-spark unit was indeed faulty; the housing bearing was frozen and the optical wheel was rusted and corroded. They must have left this one out in the yard for awhile. Thanks again and as soon as I get some pics of it all finished I will definately post.

Guest super280z

Hey Mikey,

sounds great. im really glad that was helpful to ya. btw, how did you setup your motor mounts? im having a little difficulty with Jtr's method. and also what kind of HP #'s are you puling? i'm really interested in hearing what you've done with the motor, trans and other things. seeing as though i havent owned an lt1 car, i have the general idea but it'd be nice to see what somone else has done already.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: super280z ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Well, when I first got the thing running, I wasn't very impressed. I used to work for GM and have driven many lt-1 f-bodies; my z seemed weak! Well, after two junkyard dist. swaps, I finally got a decent optispark. I found a killer site that shows the simple method to convert an early model opti-crap (92-94) to the vacum vented (95+) style. The site is http://members.home.net/jreed012/optispark.html

Anyway, I used the motorsports ind. kit, came w/motor and trans mounts. The taller mount is used on the drivers side to shift the motor to the pass side(steering shaft clearance.) Had no problems! The trans mount had to be modified because I'm running a b&w t-5 trans out of a 91 camaro. Like I said I don't have the jtr manual, so I cheated and got the kit. Only mods to the engine are hooker super comp "scarab" style headers, K&N filter, and hi-perf pcm (chip). So far no hp # or 1/4 mile times, I've got to shell out the cash for the rest of the goodies, but the seat-of-the-pants acceleration is very impressive now that the ignition system is tight. Hopefully I will have some pic's to share soon. Whats the details on your ride?