HybridZ

Could this be the last straw?

Guest nezzie76

Guest nezzie76

I got the brakes fixed and charged the battery. I go to crank and no crank. Nothing, except the volt meter drops to 4 volts when I try. Afterwards it goes to about 10. Took the battery to a battery shop, they said the battery was fine. Then I tried to jump it, still the same problem.

icon_mad.gif

This maybe the last straw, I'm seriously considering a 350 conversion icon_smile.gif . I've got the JTR manual but I was gonna do some exterior mods first. Besides my L6 blows oil pretty bad ( like a quart every 100 miles on really easy driving). Maybe I should be patient though. Do you guys think that it is time? icon_confused.gif

-Nathan

Guest nezzie76

Yeah, I agree. I will try to locate the parts that I need first. I just want to do the conversion first, and not worry about HP yet( can do it later). I don't want to rebuild an engine, but I'm on about a $3000 budget for the conversion. Where do you suggest I look for an engine? Are wrecking yards not a good bet? Also, are there certain types of 350s that come out of cars that are better than others? I just want a simple carbed 350 w/ T-5.

Thanks,

Nathan

Guest 72240Z

Try cleaning and tightening the negitive battery cable where it ataches to block.

If that dosn't work try the same thing at the starter.

You do have the JTR manual, yes? You can pretty much follow their advice in getting the engine & tranny. If you can take your time, go slowly and hunt for bargains. I got caught up in building a motor when I should have just kept the motor stock and put it in. If you can find a running V8 with a 4 barrel carb, that'll be your best bet. Unless you want to go FI (hard on a budget), your tranny will be from a different car most likely. When you do get an engine, get everything associated with it, otherwise you'll spend so much more money chasing parts like alternators, brackets, etc. Junkyards are ok, but make sure the motor runs first--out here they give a warranty so you can return it if it does not work.

Davy

Guest nezzie76

I got the car to start, but now it only cranks but doesn't kick over. The fuel pump won't work and doesn't pump when I start. I hotwired it and it pumped. All the fuses seem okay and the fusible links all work. The wires to the pump also seem okay. Is there a fuel pump relay that I am missing? If so the Haynes book doesn't mention it and I can't find it. I suspect that the "transistor ignition" may be at fault ( located beneath the passenger dash) as it gets warm when I crank it alot. There is also a computer on the other side that could be a problem.

If that "transistor ignition" is at fault, don't bother buying a new one...they're what, like $700-$800 in the VB catalog? Get one out of the same year of car if possible from the wrecking yard--maybe $35 or less? Hooking it up shouldn't be that hard at all. I wish you well.

Davy