HybridZ

Finally almost done with the stereo install

Evan Purple240zt

Well, i finally got off my hole and started working on the stereo in my z. My buddy jearod and I worked like mad dogs to get the thing ready for the car audio show.

As of now i have a 12 mounted in the spare tire well in the back. Looks very good. Custom kick panels with 3" dome mids, sayos tweeters and 6" midbass in the door. LOT of speakers up there but they really arent in the way. The sound is spectacular.

Unfortunately I didnt place, so i just shelled out the cash for a Behringer DSP 8024 which is a pro audio DSP unit. We will be converting it to 12v and installing it sometime soon. Should pretty much perfect my soundstaging and depth. IT really sucks competing with people that spend 30,000 in installation and equipment.

Yeah, so im getting carried away. Whats your point? LOL. It sounds awesome and i couldnt be happier. With the way it sounds now, the DSP should make me a show winner.

Later for now guys, if you have any questions just shoot. We are doing the detail work now. It looks all mongrelized so im not ready to take pictures yet. Stay tuned though!

Evan icon_biggrin.gif

Evan, even though it may be "mogrelized" at the moment, ay least we can see the work in progress. Sometimes a finished product looks great, but no one knows how to get to that point--the build up is almost more important for guys like me. Whenever you can post some pics, it would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

BTW--sorry you didn't place--hopefully you'll remedy that soon, though.

Davy icon_smile.gif

Watching a PRO do your car really takes the magic out of it LOL. I have to take the sub out of the enclosure to wire it differently this week, i can take a pic of the inside of the box for you guys. just for fun we fiberglassed a big ugly pillowcase into the inside LOL. Seemed like a good idea at 3am anways... icon_smile.gif

The install is somewhat simple, but with jearods help (he owns the soundgarden) everything went VERY smoothly.

The DSP should fix some of the problems I am having. Ill be picking that up in decatur IL next weekend.

Dave, ill take pics of the unfinished product for sure alright? icon_biggrin.gif

Evan

PS.. this really isnt a project for the faint of heart. Jearod had to cut sheetmetal from behind the doorpanel. I was so freaked out I had to leave for about an hour! LOL

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the 240zx is a great car to do a stereo install in. My Q45 is a royal pain in the ass. Removing the Bose system and rewiring is gonna cause many hair-yanking moments (oh wait, i don't have hair...) icon_wink.gif So anyways, I'm wrapping up the system in my Q: CDT midbasses and tweets, Hifonics Zeus amp, image dynamics subs, eclipse h/u and lots of other goodies. This is basically a middle of the road install. But when I do have enough money, I'll get a serious SQ install for the Z...

Hey bud, thats hardly middle of the road compared to the average system thats awesome. Hi-fonics makes some serious amps! My buddy runs a pair of europas in his SQ car. Not sure if your interested but they are for sale. Have you tried a DSP of any kind in your car? In my experience DSPs can make a huge difference in any automotive envrionment.

If I were you, honestly I would try to run new speaker wires instead of messing with the bose system. They are difficult at best. There MAY be a way to put a small jumper on the amp that disables the whole thing too. My freind MIGHT know if you want me to find out how and if it can be done.

As far as my equipment goes, i used an audiobahn aluminum cone 12" in the hatch. Same exact sub as the eclipse one. I have a pair of butler tube driver amps, the matching crossover and line driver too. My deck is the clarion 9255 (plain jane, with dual 20 bit D/A converter and outboard power supply). I used Vifa components and the sayos tweeters. I have 3" dome midranges in the kicks, and 6" midbasses in the doors. PITA really... LOL

Anyways, take it easy. Sounds like the Q is going to sound really good!

Evan

One of the best things the Q has going for it is the extremely quiet interior. Nearly all the noise outside the car is suppressed by the more-than-adequate insulation. Likewise, with the windows rolled up, people on the outside have a difficult time ever knowing your stereo is raging inside.

My Bose system is also on the fritz and I am not happy about it. I would have been very happy with it if it was newer and worked properly icon_sad.gif I'll hopefully upgrade it in the future.

Davy

I was into the audio toys a while a go. I have a bluapunk v450 amp, which is a sweet amp for the price with distortion limiting and built in crossovers. MB quart 6 1/2 components, with a nice eclipse deck with sub output. An Oz 12" in the back, which is very tight and fast for a 12.

Lately I have been impressed by Memphis components, can't beat there sound quality for the price.

Clint, blaupunkt makes some very good equipment for the price. They have a new class-T line that should be shipping soon. Its all digital. The amps are VERY clean, extremely small, and put out so little heat you could easily pack foam around one and not have it overheat.

Pretty cool eh? - Evan

PS.. I had a set of quart components in my truck. They really take abuse. It took me 4 years to blow a tweet. Man was that long overdue. I was way overpowering those speakers. icon_biggrin.gif