HybridZ

What is your average temp

madmanadam

Just wondering what is the average temp on your cars.

Finally driving more than a block.

I'm runnning a zz4 and my average temp is about 200 degrees.

The radiator that I'm using is a camaro with a black magic fan.

What would be a high temp?

I have heard that these engines like high temp is this true?

Thanks

Adam

Guest Anonymous

Mine runs a 180 thermostat and if I'm driving sustained on the highway it'll pull about 190. Thats with a brand new Howe radiator and a Taurus fan. Around town even idling in traffic with the A/C it'll run 180 or less. Seems weird, but mine runs hotter on the freeway, I suspect its the added engine load of pulling the overdrive tranny.

For the modern engines, 200 shouldn't be a big problem. I know one of the mod's on later LT1's was putting a colder thermostat in (like 160 or 165) but I believe they do that to get the induction temperature down since it flows water through the TPI unit.

Regards,

Lone

Adam, I have a 190 degree thermostat (I think that's what it was..) and I expect the engine about 10 degrees hotter when the thermostat is fully open. With the Taurus fan and Camaro radiator, I seriously doubt I'll have cooling problems, and I could even go with a higher thermostat, but why? I don't need to scrounge the umpteenth amount of power out of the motor anyway.

Davy

Mine runs a 180 thermostat. Temp is around 180 when driving but will rise to about 200 when sitting, then the fan kicks in and drops it to just below 190. As soon as I'm moving the temp drops to 180 and stays there. I've yet to put Watter Wetter in my cooling system but will soon.

Lone - (FYI) the colder thermostats in the LT1TPI cars is to get them to run closer to cold start mode. That makes the mixture richer and probably changes the spark curve a bit. Overall I don't think it's a great idea (shrug). It's one of those band aid the computer things that I hate so much icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

I just got back from a 3 hour 60 mile putt.

The temp 190 to 204.

WoW what a day the car ran awsome.

Did a little freeway then some back road curves. Great day in the 70's.

Only one problem, did all the driving with no windsheild icon_smile.gif had goooogles on, just like a bike but lots more power icon_wink.gif

I think I might change the thermastat to 180.

But for now I'm just running. Windsheild this next weekend.

It is so nice to drive this money. icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Adam

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info Jim, I wasn't sure why they did it, I just knew the parts were available having seen them in the Jegs Cat.

I ass-u-me'd it was for temperature control in the plenum icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone