HybridZ

no spark... help please

7MGFORCE

hi

so i decided to follow this site for my ignition system.

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm

i basically used the stock wires that went to the stock coil. so i used the possitive output and the negative/tach output.

when i crank the car i didnt get any spark what so ever. im curious why it does not work. i have tripple check everything and all connections are good but again no spark.

any sugestions?

side questions the dizzy has a vacuum nipple where do i connect it?

FYI: this is on an early 74 260z. with a 1990 mustang 5.0 that is carb.

The ballast resistor is the white looking rectangle next to the coil with 3 wires right? Well I connected the 3 wires and tried again. The possitive on coil drops to 8.x during crank prolly bc of starter drain. Still no spark though. Btw is the negative/tach on coil suppose to have 12v ? Mine has a possitive output.

Edit after regrounding everything I was able to get spark. But it's very very weak spark. I could barely see it. I used the main spark plug that connects to the coil as my tester using ascrew driver. Btw how many spark per second am I suppose to see? Bc when it was being crank I could only see 1 every few second I would thing it would be more per second when cranking bc it's a v8

Do you have a Duraspark distributor? That article says you need one.

The voltage dropping while cranking is normal.

Does the engine block have a good ground to the frame or battery?

Yes I do have duraspark dizzy. The car now have spark and I made sure The grounds are solid and I ground the engine and chassis.

My question is, is it normal to have a weak spark when the engine is just cranking?

I have to sort out my pump wiring before she start unfortunately so I can't see how the spark is when running