HybridZ

heres one for the audiophiles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just had a cool idea i thought i would sure with the rest of you guys out there. tell me what you think. my idea was about making a speaker using a outside powered inductor instead of permanent magnets. i think what i'm going to do is go buy a el cheapo 12 speakr from the pawn shop as long as it has a good cone and the foam surround isn't corroded. the i'll yank off the magnet and fab my self a custom bracket (just a hack job to test my idea, nothing fancy) then i'll set it up with my secondary being fine copper wire wound ? times (haven't decided my ratio yet) then i'll cover it with a coating of nail polish and wind over that with a 10g ga. wire as my primary. then i set up a regulated power supply to power my transformer. depending on what type of voltage and amperage i run i could really have a versatile speaker. capable of many configurations. the biggest problem would be making sure to filter out any line noise. I.E. ignition, fuel pump, etc. at least thats what i think i'll end up with or it might just turn out to be a ple of dung but i guess thats where the fun is huh?

another idea i had was to hook up a potentiometer to the lines from the amp to my test speaker and see if i could possibly use the the combination of the pot and the speaker's adustability to match impedance between the speaker and the amp. hmmmm... if i impedance match them then that will bring about resonance i wonder what that will make the output of the speaker be like.. interesting. come on guys give me your thoughts on this one before i go spend money on a frivoulous thought. i know we have a lot of eggheads out here so i expect some good answers darn it icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

p.s. don't take offense to the eeggheads remark i just meant it in fun. hell i'm a fellow nerd. just a year and a half ago i competed i a robotics comp. how nerdy is that icon_smile.gif

Why mess with a fixed-pole electromagnet? Wire it up so that the power source for your electromagnet gets its signal from the speaker outputs, but with reversed polarity. Engineer it so that when the speaker coil's polarity is positive, the electromagnet's is negative, and vice versa. You could make a highly efficient design that way, complete with excursion-limiting effects.

Just a thought...

Guest bang847

i dunno that sounds like a real task..

RPMS sounds like he has a great idea..

it would operate on a dual voice coil principle... but.. with that much moving around you'll need a decent sub to tear apart from the begining because of the long stroke.. well i've tried to take magnets out of speakers before but usually ended up hacking them.. i usually bent the basket and rendered the speaker useless. i think youre gonna have to run high wattage or have the coils very precisly wound so that the gap will be small enough to create sufficient repulsion... well that is my 2 cents... go for it.. but don't spend too much... you might want to check out your local sound shops.. they usually have blown out speakers.. plus they only keep the good brands so maybe you can score one cheap...