HybridZ

Electronic Speedo to T56?

Mike kZ

Yeah, I've got it and it works. As I recall here are TWO wires from the VSS sensor and only one on the speedo'. I picked one wire at random form the VSS and hooked it to he speedo' and the other I simply grounded. So far as I know there is no particular way it must be hooked up but it's possible I've gotten lucky.

How have you hooked it up now?

Guest Anonymous

You do need to calibrate it after the install, but if you have the power hooked up it should at least come off of the needle stop and move to 0 mph. I just hooked up the wires, one being a ground and the other coming from the VSS. I don't think there is a specific wire that is signal or ground coming off the sender. LOL unless Jim and I both got lucky and just happened to pick the right one.. (whats the chances of that happening? icon_smile.gif )

The signal is just a pulse that the speedo counts basically, 2000 pulses per mile? I can't recall the exact number, but that number kinda rings a bell.

Do you have the calibration button hooked up? If you press it, does it move at all or anything?

If your getting none of that, check power and wiring, I had mine wired wrong and had to do it a second time. (and the silicone was not fun to cut through to take the speedo back out!) Trust me if you use silicone to mount it, it ain't going no where... icon_razz.gif

Regards,

Lone

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Hrm, and while calibrating it will give you a pulse count so if you've got the number of pulses per mile for your drivetrain you can get it exact. In my case I simply whipped out the handy GPS and drove until I hit the one mile mark on the trip meter. Comparing the GPS speed to my gauge afterwards it's exact icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Awk, you got all the cool toys.. haha.. icon_smile.gif I followed the woman around a long block and stopped when she did icon_rolleyes.gif so its only as accurate as my trucks, but its close enough. I know if I'm turning 2500 rpm's in 6th I'm hauling ass. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

As far as I know I hooked it up right, but I'm getting nothing. It could be my ground isn't good enough. I'll try a better ground first.My calibration button is hooked up, but when I press it when moving nothing happens.

Lone, how did you have it wired wrong?

Guest Anonymous

I can't recall real well but, I think I was missing one ground wire or something (one for the sender and one for the rest of the gauge, I think I forgot the one to the sender and assumed that one ground was common to both).

I finaly ran all the wires from the gauge thru the firewall and made all my hook ups under there instead of using the grounds and power from my other gauges. Power I went off the Bat term on distributor. Finally it worked fine.

Its probably just a overlooked ground or something.

My power to my guages are a mess right now anyway, I'm getting some weird flucuations in my gauges (they twitch to the right at times) and such. I'll probably try to relay a few more things to get some of the power off a few circuits and then go from there. If that don't work, I'll have to pull the dash, but that won't happen any time soon as the next time I do that, it'll get a painless harness for the gauges and the rest of the car. Good luck finding the problem, hopefully its something simple.

Regards,

Lone