HybridZ

Metric Thread Chaser source? Anyone? Helloooo...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been looking for a set of metric thread chasers much like is sold for American iron in Summit and Jegs. I want to have a good set for cleaning up Datsun engines with those nasty metric threads.

I haven't looked in the right place yet and just can't find what I want. Sure, I can get bottom-taps but those puppies are NOT cheap.

Craig--have you tried places like McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com or Grainger www.grainger.com ?

McMaster is a little easier to deal with, as you don't have to send them a copy of your business license, right arm and first born like Grainger, and they are fairly reasonable on shipping to (HQ is in Atlanta)

Good luck finding 'em

Jim

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

Yes, I have looked there but didn't see the non-cutting rethreading taps like I need. I could use the bottoming taps but those things are like $30 each and that mounts up when you buy several taps.

I found a few metric thread restore kits on the net but no pricing or availability; I have emails out to them now.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

I went back and refined my search a bit. McMaster-Carr does have a 15 pc rethreading tap and file set for metric fasteners. Price: $40.

Also, a 53 piece standard/metric combo set is available for $70.

You are right about McMaster-Carr: the shipping is reasonable and delivery speed is second to none. I usually get stuff the next day from their Atlanta location to my Birmingham home. High quality stuff, too.