HybridZ

Stereo problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought a 90 240SX a couple days ago. Yesterday, I decided to put my Alpine deck in there. I took it out of an 88 Nissan Pulsar, so the wiring harness was actually the same. Anyway, I hook it all up and I have no power to the stereo. No display, it won't take cd's etc.

I used a test light and I have power right up to where the wires plug in to the deck.

Does anyone know what the problem could be. The model is CDM-7835. I don't have the owner manual because it came in my other car. Also, it's an older model so the manual isn't on Alpine's site.

Thanks for your help.

This is all VERY FWIW, but I'll throw in my two cents.

Do NOT depend on the wiring harness being the same between the old car and the new one. Just because the plugs are the same doesn't mean that they didn't change positions of some of the terminals. Auto engineers are funny that way.

The case of the radio should have a rudimentary wiring diagram on it. The last few Alpines I've installed have had this, and yours probably will, too. Make sure that constant voltage is present at the B+ (or "memory") wire, and that when the ignition is on, voltage is present at the wire that is labeled "ignition" or "switched". Double check that you have a good, solid ground.

Double check EVERYTHING before you connect the harness again. Make sure all the wires in the harness supply the ground, voltage, or speaker wires like they should. Assume NOTHING. My experience with this sort of stuff is that you sometimes get a second chance if you hook something up wrong, but you rarely get a third. If the problem isn't apparent, and if the wires are all going where they should, take the radio to a reputable installer and pay them $30 to look at it. Cheaper to do that than to buy another radio by futzing it up. And if your radio IS dead, then maybe they'll put that $30 towards the purchase of a new one. Maybe.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your help. I actually did buy a new harness and rewire it before I posted. I'm pretty sure all the wires matched up, but I will recheck it. My brother just bought a really nice Sony deck for his MR2 he hasn't put in yet. Maybe I'll just jack that from him. Thanks for your help again. If it doesn't work do you have any recommendations for a good (relatively cheap) deck? I just want to listen to Cds on the stock speakers for now.

Thanks

I agree that you should take nothing for granted. I'm not an expert but I always install my own stereo's when I purchase one.

The very first thing I do is cut the wire's plug/head off & install my own wiring connections...after I've confirmed which wire is hot w/the ignition off & which wire is hot after the accessory is turned on.

If I'm installing a CD player & Amp seperate from the head unit...make sure your ground wires to any/all stereo components are as close to each other as possible: this ensures your ground wires to your stereo components aren't picking up "Body-Ground" noise from the fuel pump or any other electrical source that has a ground wire connected to the body further back than your stereo components...these cross grounds can have some weird problems to other electrical items.

I'ld also remove your stereo & take it to a pro-stereo shop for testing: this way you'll know right off the bat if your unit is good/bad...and that's half the battle.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)