HybridZ

measuring deck clearence

burninator

I hope this is an acceptable place to post this question. My friend needs to know a good way to accurately measure the distance that a piston sticks out of the deck at TDC.

Sorry, it's not for a Z-car that is why I wasn't sure if it could be posted here, but I didn't know where else to ask. The engine is a Renault turbo diesel out of an '87 Jeep. There are apparently 2 different head gaskets it could use depending on this measurement. According to him there is no way to know without measuring it (no markings on the engine). Info on this engine is hard to come by.

This is the best way:

pic_046s1.jpg

These are available from summit and probably lots of other places.

In a pinch, you can make do with a good metal straightedge and a set of feeler guages. It's best to measure over each end of the wristpin, then measure the edge of the piston 90 deg from the wristpin. Rock the piston, note the different readings, and average them. Do 4 measurements per piston, don't be surprised if they vary a few thou.

jt