HybridZ

Excessive? Oil in the Intercooler piping

jakeoster

Well, I installed a boost controller and had to take off the intercooler piping to install a pressure source to the solenoid. I have a stock RB25 plenum and a large front mount intercooler set up and when I took it off I noticed a fair amount of oil past the intercooler and all the way up to who knows where. Whats normal for oil in the I/C piping?

Well it was spewing out the oil before I even turned up the boost which is set to 8.6psi right now with the Greddy Profec B Spec 2 controller. I had to take off the I/C piping to install the fitting that reads the pressure the turbo is putting out and that is when I discovered the oil. It had puddled up in all the silicon fittings and there was a slick inside the piping itself, even past the FMIC. I was thinking of just buying a new Garrett turbo that fits on the stock manifold and fits under the crossover pipe just like the stock one. Does anyone know what turbo(s) would meet this criteria? I dont think it would be worth it to fuss with the stock one...Thanks for the great information so far guys.

GT30r with an internal wastegate would be my pick in your situation

GT3076 with a 0.82 or 0.63 turbine housing,the larger one if you intend any future mods for HP and the smaller on if you want low boost threshold

Anything that pressurizes the crankcase can possibly influence the turbo to pass oil.

Blowby is one.

Driving hard is another since pcv valves don't scavenge the crankcase when under boost.

If you drive under boost more than the manufacturers expect when they designed the engine, you can end up with crankcase pressure.

I'm wondering if adding one that uses the venturi effect to scavenge crankcase used in addition to the stock setup could keep the pressure down even with hard driving.

Does your car have a crankcase vent that goes into the tube before the turbo inlet as in most stock setups?

If so, the oil could be coming from that tube while looking like the turbo is passing oil.