HybridZ

'Step' on the flywheel?

aarang

Recently I had a Spec clutch failure after 1600 miles of use. A few hard drag launches at the track and it was done. Seems my chatter was not the disc grabbing, but the PP was warped and the disc ate a divot into the friction surface of the flywheel so I do need to have it resurfaced. I do have a Fidanza/Spec aluminum flywheel that I may use, but I had enough problems drag launching with the stocker!!

Previously there was a step on the flywheel after getting it resurfaced the first time. I think it was along the lines of a .003 difference between the outer ring and the friction surface ( stock 280ZXT flywheel). I just bought a new ACT clutch and am going to have the flywheel resurfaced again. My T5 has always had a problem with going into 3rd gear when going down the track. I just thought it was the T5, but now maybe it might have been the clutch or the flywheel causing the 'crunchy' 3rd gear.

After doing a search on here, it seems there is no general consensus of wether there should be a step machined on the flywheel or if the whole thing should be a flat surface. I looked in my FSM and I can't find any info pertaining to the flywheel specs. Should there be a step, or no step? Is there really a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron