HybridZ

$2000 to spend...on what?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...i have an 82 zxt..rebuilt the engine...new turbo...(stock)injectors....etc...i was wanting to get my engine to around 300hp (if possible)...(excluding exhaust)what performance mods should i make (spending $2000) what might get me closer...i have bought an i.c. (dont have to use it)...real small...the turbo store that sold it to me said it would be close to the one off of an eclipse (which he thought would be about the best for this car)....he also said that 300hp+ would be really hard (exspensive) to get (or anything over 12psi boost).... what would you recommend?....thanks ...s

What kind of turbo did you get? Would be nice if it was not a stock replacement. You can make 300hp with the stock turbo but you will be pushng a lot of boost and be hard pressed doing it with the stock stock ECM and AFM unless you are really good at recalibrating the AFM. Unless you get a programmable system, you will need to redo the AFM and a programmable system would blow your $2K budget.

To make 300hp reliably (I assume you mean RWHP), you need a hybrid turbo, upgraded injs, fuel pump, adj FPR, GOOD I/C and free-flowing exhaust, K&N-style filter forwad of the radiator, A/F mixture meter, a real boost gauge. An upgraded turbo could run as low as $450. You can go the used SVO 36# injs route for about $125 or find some used 420s for about $250. The pump will run about $200 new or you can try one of the low-budget OEM pumps (Ford truck, I think) that some seem to be having success with. A used FPR should run about $40. If the I/C you have is equiv to an Eclipse unit, sorry, it will not do. Budget $400 for a good I/C and quality mandrel piping. Cannot stress enough how critical it is to not go cheap here. Mixture meter and a new O2 sensor will run about $65, boost guage (do not even think about using the stock gauge) is about $35 and a 3" mandrel exhaust should run about $300 with a decent muffler like the Super Turbo. Filter should run about $75 with piping. Should not cost you much, but plan on replacing EVERY vacuum hose under hood.

So much of your cost is going to depend on how much you can do yourself.

Guest Anonymous

....oh! of course i got a stock turbo....(so it would cost me more later on)....seems like thats what i always do...

..i really appreciate the advise..

i'm blundering through all of this..and trying to learn as i go...

i already bought an autometer 30psi boost gauge,and 100lb fuel press gauge,...would it be better to get an egt gauge instead of an a/f?..

..i have replaced all the tubing hoses and belts..and o2 sensor... have removed the old breather assy and put in an AR (k&n type) cone ahead of the radiator..i bought the adjustable boost controller (cheap manual one from msa).....but there's a really cool (i think hks) electronic boost controller ($600)i would like to have but not knowing anymore than i do i'm not sure to do it or not...dont mind paying for it if its worth it..and its gonna help...

..dont mind buying new/rebuilt injectors instead of used ..but i dont know what svo 36's are (excuse my ignorance)...i heard 450 sel inj were good or merkurs x4rti..i'd like to have some that go in w/o a lot of "to do" (or if there is a lot of "to do".."i" can do it)...

..is an adjustable fp regulator and a rising rate reg similar..or do the serve the same function?

..any ford truck(fuel inj?) fuel pump?...i guess i need one that goes in the engine compartment?

...the ic thang!!!...whew..i have a volvo (everybody hates 'em)...but scottymiz likes his and his car runs great...all ic's i see are "monsters" (like the volvo_)....i bought the maximum boost book yesterday..trying to get a little smarter on that...the guy that sold it to me...seemed pretty sharp...been doin' it for a long time....(didnt try to sell me anything)...and he had a bunch of ic's ...for aircraft,winston cup cars...you name it (turbos and all kinds of silicon/steel pipes controllers you name it...

...he was aware of starion and supra and he didnt like 'em @ all..(for a z)...i'm still not sure why....and why he thought eclipse's were good for a z???...(not sure why either)

...i saw a pict of one of your cars...(very nice)..i'm not gonna even ask what mr. bell's cost ...but i dont mind paying $6-700 (if thats what it takes for a good one and i get what i pay for)...i just dont really know whats good and whats not....

....i also got an adjustable pop-off....the $89 one (like they used to sell @ msa)he couldnt get anymore...he's getting me a $200 one...i was real busy when he was explaing what it was and why it cost so much....no telling...sorry this was so long....but thanks so much.....s