HybridZ

Who would take an L28?

XTCoX

im not selling, but I want to know what I could expect to receive for selling a (somewhat tattered) L28?

I have 3 L28 ENGINES laying around, one in good shape, 2 in disrepair. What Could I expect to get for the 2 bad ones? (by disrepair i mean that they have been sitting for 15+ years and may or may not have a crapload of problems).

Assuming that the engines were working when they were parked, I can't imagine anything surviving for 15 years in Lake Elsinore, CA, unprotected :(.

Anyway, thanx in advance.

Guest Rolling Parts

Good used complete running stock engines go for $250-400.

Old tattered ones are basically "cores" that will need at least a rebuild.

California is Z heaven and I've seen old mystery engines offered for "free to a good home"!

It might be better to dissasemble and have a look and then sell the heads separate from the block. Good P90's and good F54 blocks might be of interest for people doing engine builds.

Well, you're absolutely right about that. Too bad I have an N47 and N42...

Ill have to check the blocks, though.

Im doing everything I can to finance a V8 or preferably an LS engine into my 74, and i thought that this might help, but I guess it'll only help a little bit. Thanks RP

I would like to have an N42 or N47 head for a cam project I want to start. The problem is its around 60.00 to ship from your area to me in Oregon, so that cuts down what someone is willing to pay for it. 50.00 or so for one of the heads would be good for a local guy who could pick it up.

I have a P90, I want to up the compression with an N42 or N47. I want to see if running a smaller chamber changes performance noticeably. I am running an MSA stage 3 cam in my P90 with flat tops and wondering if im hurting myself with the lower compression. Just a test, a swap if I like it.

Edited by thrustnut
add morei info

Do a search and you'll find more info then you can use on the head topics. From the reading I have done the P90 with flat tops should yield low 9's-1 compression where as the N42 and NN47's with flat tops are in the mid 10's-1. I'm sure there are tons of variables, but this gives you an example. 10-1 is too much for a turbo, unless your only planing on only running a small amount of boost (IMO). The P90 is also the best flowing stock Nissan head out there.

Yeah thrustnut, thats a good point. I have an N/A L28, but I wanted to get the P90 ported, polished, with a huge cam and a valve job.....

I pretty sure that the lower compression wont be a problem, and i plan on putting a turbo on the car, so this is a must.

Unless, someone knows something about comp ratios that I dont, and would advise against this N47 to P90 swap for N/A applications???

A couple things to think about before turboing a car-make sure your cam is compatible with your turbo application, and I would not recommend using a P90 on an N/A with dished (stock) pistons, your CR will be pretty low. I have flats and am thinking about raising my CR, so you would be worse off then me. I would make a decision before you build on turbo or N/A and build accordingly.

Well, I called MSA and they said that the N42 block has flat-top pistons, so i guess that that wont be an issue. I know that the P90 is the best flowing head of any of the S30 heads, which is why I want it, albeit a slightly lower compression ratio. I could compensate for the loss of compression with a lower-profile gasket and adjustible cam sprocket, or I could grind it down, but then it wouldn't be suitable for a turbo application.

Its something to think about. I am just going to throw it on stock and see how it works. Then i'll go from there. If i dont like it, Im more than positive someone will buy it.

I have a P90, I want to up the compression with an N42 or N47. I want to see if running a smaller chamber changes performance noticeably.

This is just a side question: I was under the impression that the P90 and E31 had the half-moon shaped quench chambers, and the N47/42 had the full circular chambers......

Ill have to do some research on this, now im really confused! :mrgreen: