HybridZ

Just bought a project

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I just found a '72 240z that has minimal rust for only $400. It doesn't run, bu everything's there. The ONLY rust I could find is below and behind the driver's side door and under the rear hatch at the back. Solid everywhere else, including the floors, under the battery tray and where the front frame rails meet the firewall.

The owner said he parked it when the fuel pump went out 10 years ago! It's been sitting ever since, so it will be a major project. Now the question is do I restore it to original, fix it up with other Z stuff or hybridize with non Z stuff?

I want to end up with a fun Sports Car that I can autocross and take out to track days at the local road course. I plan to do must of the work myself over several months. I'm not thinking of V8 power, but I might go with a hot v6. I'm more interested in road racing than drag racing.

I'm not a purist. Basically I want the best bang for the buck. Suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I'd agree, its the cheapest easiest swap if you can find a nice running ZXT engine with all associated wiring and plumbing. It'll autocross well, and with a intercooler and more boost, more fuel pressure etc, it'll perform real well. There said it, and I'm a V8 Z guy...

You'll probably also have a better chance in your class with the L6 Turbo, with a V8 Z, you have to run some pretty serious cars from what I've read here from the guys.

Regards,

Lone