HybridZ

Z32 - Caddy 500 swap?

Guest Tht1KSguy

Guest Tht1KSguy

Hey everybody smile.gif I've worked my way back to the world of the gainfully employed. 3 months w/out a job and my gf got hit by a car. (as a pedestrian) Long story short the Z fund is -$0 at the moment but within a couple months things will be back to normal again.

The real question is this... I've kinda lost interest in my '74 260Z project and i'm at an impass whether to continue on and hope my enthusiam returns or to find the project my heart desires, which namely at this point is a Z32 w/ a V8 planted in. I like the look of the Z32 and just being 20yrs newer has a few benefits too. I know someone here is pursueing a SBC swap. My thing is trying to figure out of a Caddy 500 will fit into the Z32 engine bay. I'd probably run a built 200R4 behind it, as far as i know there aren't any manual trannies that are compatible in torque rating or simply bolting up. I'm not too worried about the length & width issue (i'll weld up my own headers) as much as the height. I'm thinking a cowl induction look wouldn't really compliment the body style?? Any words of wisdom or ideas/opinions?

thanks

Ryan

Guest Anonymous

I saw in a recent Car Craft a guy had put a 500 cad in a 69 Z28, but those had room for a big block. I'd have to agree, it may be to wide, I saw a 472 Cad the other day at a machine shop and it was BIG. you'd probably need to notch the frame rails for starter clearance at least, custom headers might be required, on a scale of 10 I'd give it a 8.5-9 in terms of difficulty and of course your score will depend on style points and if the soviet block judges have bribbed the french judges :rolleyes: ... :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Tht1KSguy

I haven't been able to find a Z32 to actually look under the hood of yet but i'm betting if the engine bay can swallow a DOHC engine w/ a turbo on each side mounted down low then surely the Cad 500 isn't that wide? Westech Performance's website has it at 28.5" wide but height seems to be the real problem... looks like it's over 6" taller than a SBC eek2.gif and being a low profile hood already i have some serious doubts. It's all just ideas at this point anyway... I may still continue w/ my Mopar big block swap into my 260Z, found an engine for free yesterday so i'll probably pick it up whether i use it yet or not.

Thanks for the input smile.gif