HybridZ

combination switch

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

anyone know where to get a new combination switch for a 260z? i pulled the steering column out of mine today and found a big mess. all of the connectors are gone , and its all taped together. still wondering what was going on in the previous owners head. there are only 5 connectors that go to it. im guessing the switch in my car may have been one from another year z that was spliced in, but im having trouble with the wiring diagrams in the chiltons manuals. does anyone have any better diagrams that focus more on the combination switch?

Guest Anonymous

Its as near as your local Kragen/Autozone, both of them I believe stock it when I last checked online. With key and everything it runs a bit over a 100.00 and change I think.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I assume you are asking about the ignition switch that locks the steering column. I had an un- fortunate experience when the steering wheel locked going around a corner and went in a ditch with no problem. I took the whole mess off (Big job since Datsun made the lock theft proof attached to the steering column while a worn down key will fit and turn about any worn lock in any Z) and replaced the igntion switch with a 620 Datsun (1973-79) pick-up switch that has the same 6 slot with five working electrical terminals.The pickup ignition switch with all the 620 pick-up mounting hardware will fit in the plastic steeering wheel surround cover and due to its light weight does not require steering wheel mounting support. If you are in an area with a lot of avaailable junker pickups you can get an ignition switch at a junkyard and if no key /have a locksmith duplicte one or have your friends pool all their keys until you find one that fits. 1 out of 10 will fit!!Do not depend on that ignition to foil a thief.I heard of a fellow that was pulled over in his earlty Z by the police and taken in for questioning. When he was returnned an hour later his car was stolen. The reason he was taken in was for suspicion of z car theft. It seems old z's are the favorite for tweekers to joy ride in around here. One friend had his 260 stolen 3 times. He did not repair it after the third time and was able to chase the car down the hill but could not out run the thief who fled on foot. He got a real foul smelling black leather jacket and some tawain tools the thief hastily discarded

Guest 400 ci 280z

i need a new combo switch( turn signals and stuff?) because mine was trashed, and i need a cover for the sterring column too. where is the best place to find one in okla?

Guest Anonymous

I am not familiar with your area. I just visited the final resting place of a fine old 2+2 that did not survive a vehicular arguement. The only thing missing before I got there was that plastic steering surround.The z's are still plentiful in Oregon but some parts are rare . try Datsun .com and place a wanted ad or check out their classifieds. ebay always has a little of something . I have some surround parts but holding on to them for my posterity. Let me know what you find because I may later run on to something.Those surround are getting like hen's teeth

I have an extra combo switch (headlights/wiper/washer) if anyone can use it. It is not brand new, but little used. Bought it new couple of years ago and had a major problem with the lights. Bought another and found out the problem was the fusebox.

The box has part# 25160-E8800. I know the early switch fits a variety of models but I am not sure how far it goes. Here is a pic so you can see the wires.

combo-switch.jpg

Email me if anyone is interested.