HybridZ

Fitting other OEM steering wheel

Tony240ZT

I came accross a black leather wrapped Porsche steering wheel that I think would look nice in my `73, but the splines' ID are slightly smaller. I was considering drilling them out and then relying on the clamping force of the nut to hold it on there, but that's probably not the best of ideas.

Is this something a machine shop could fab for me? Is there a more simple way that would be cheap and reliable? I'm not too worried about damaging the splines of the Porsche wheel, just want to make sure that it's mounted well. I'd rather not mess the splines up on the Z car.

Zporsche.jpg

The emblem isn't glued on there, it was just to see how it would look. Let me know if you guys thihnk it's lame looking, or a bad idea all around.

Guest Anonymous

Do not count on that that nut pressure to hold for long before you get the count down to oblivian. For a machinist,the work maybe easier to reduce and cut splines on the outside of the Datsun shaft than groove the Porsche inside splines. There maybe a way to cut out a same size square around both the steering wheel's splines and interchange the Datsun to the Porsche wheel and connect it securely some way. A race car disconnect hub also maybe a way to go. and may attach some way. There may even be an adapter available???????Interesting possibilities

An adaptor for aftermarket (Grant brand name) steering wheels is available. It's about $14.00 at Pep Boys. It fits the Datsun splined shaft.... held down by the big nut, and then uses three 1/4" bolts to hold the steering wheel. Maybe the Porsche wheel hub could be modified (drill 3 holes?) to fit this adaptor.

Guest Anonymous

Is there a way you could replace the Datsun steering rod shaft with a Porsche steering rod shaft.?(not the column housing) It looks like racing quick disconnect steering wheels have an adapter stub welded to the steering shaft which can be connected to a bolt plate attached to the steering wheel or fiitted directly to special disconnect steering wheels.