HybridZ

power rack an pinion experts...tech question

scuba steve

first, I apologize for a non-z question, but of all the forums that I have perused, HybridZ has the most and most knowledgeable car guys...

I have an '03 Ford Focus SVT. The rack and pinion boot is leaking ALOT of fluidwhile I turn the wheel. So much so, that I can fill the reservoir, and in fifteen minutes of drive time, it is empty.

There is some sort of balance tube between the two boots, so I assume (I know what that does) that there is supposed to be some fluid in there. While the fluid is full, the steering works like new, so I wonder if the amount of fluid escaping through the boot is really a problem (other than the obvious hole in the boot), or if there is an o-ring or something that has crapped out.

Thanks to anyone who takes time away from our Z's to lend some advice. Scuba Steve:confused:

i assume the boots your talking about are the inner tie rod dust boots...if so then they are only meant to keep dust and crud off your inner tie rods...there should be some kind of seal at each end of the rack...further more to prevent the burnout of your power steering pump i would suggest taking the belt off...(running your power steering pump empty will burn it up) at least until you get it fixed...

you should be able to get a rebuilt rack from any of the parts vendors(autozone ect.) if not you could get a rebuild kit and have someone repair the old one

Those are the boots I meant. I haven't been running the car empty much. Since the pump ran dry, I was going to replace it anyway (@ 80,000 miles, a new pump is cheap insurance). I can't drive without that belt, it's the only one on the car. I found a rebuild kit, is there any reason why a mechanically inclined person shouldn't try to fix it? A rebuilt (reman) rack for this car is $300 +.