HybridZ

Oil Cooler Unit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys and gals,

I picked up (for free) an 83' 280ZX Turbo oil cooling unit. I think it came stock with the car. If you know about this then you might be able to help. I was trying to figure out the best way to mount this sucker on my 77' 280Z, soon to be a 77'280Z Turbo.

While sitting on the pot (best place if any) I thought about putting it in the passenger side panel. My racing fenders have working side vents so it would be able to breath. Only probblem would be the routing of the tubbing. Should I 86 the stock tubing and create my own setup? If I ran my own tubing, what would the pressure stregnth be? Would this location behind the fender be ideal? Should I do this and add a mini fan? Should I add a fan to it requardless of where I mount it?

Let me know, summer is creeping and so is my temp.

Nic (much thankx hail.gif )

nbucholz@imageworksarch.com

Guest Aaron

I can offer this bit of insight. The 280zxt oil cooler mounted under the passenger's side of the bumper behind the air dam. On NA cars, that location was solid. On Turbo cars it had 3 or 4 horizontal slots (approximately 1" x 8") that allowed air to flow through the cooler. I have never removed one, but AFAIK, there was no fan mounted behind it, but it would be a good idea.

Guest Anonymous

So do you think I should mount to the indisde passenger fender?

Is there a way I can use other types of plubming (instead of stock) because it limits the amount to twists and turns.

Nic ugg.gif