HybridZ

Help with my new 280ZX

Guest alfred182

Guest alfred182

Hi. I'm new here. I just got a 1979 280ZX. I wanna fix this car up starting with the engine, then get a paint job, and then fix the interior.

I'm REALLY new at cars and I need some ideas as to how to go about this. I would like to make this car into a semi-race car so that I can do some drag racing.

The engine works fine. No oil leaks or funny noises. It was last tunned up in January, according to the previous owner. This ZX reportedly only gives 140hp, and it has no turbo. Can you recommend a way to increase the hp? (supercharger?? change engine??)

I also heard that if you make the suspension tighter, it will handle better. Would it be good to get a stabilizer bar?

I would like to get a nice paint job, but I don't wanna spend 2k on it. Can I really save money by doing some of the prep work myself? What kind of style for paint do you recommend (ie. 1 color, 2 colors)? I was thinking it would look cool if it was all yellow.

I also want to put a tail on it and put a spoiler in the front. Should I do both of these before I get it painted? Is there a good website that sells this, should I go to the dealer, or should I go to a local performance shop?

for the interior, should I go to wrecking yards and try to get a replacement dash, door interior, etc..? or is it better to take it to a body shop and let them do it? If possible, I would like the interior to be black (its beige now).

I was also thinking about replacing the stock seats, which are torn, and I've heard, very heavy, with these: http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/forza.html

What do you think?

Also thinking of getting a momo race steering wheel: http://www.momo.it/

(hehe, my girlfriend's name is Momo ^^)

Hmmm, what else, maybe glow spedometer & etc smile.gif

Please let me know if you have any suggestion. thanks!

Guest bang847

you can make the suggestions but the wallet will decide. cry2.gif

Faster? get a SBC in there..

Look nicer.. I think get all your add ones then paint..

corbeau seats? wow a little pricey for me.. nice though... I got a set civic SI seats I need to get rid of if you want comfort...

79zx interior? I think you can get alot of things from a JY...

want a fast ZX?

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000993

sorry I'm not a expert on anything here... just talking head..

Guest Anonymous

Your post looked a little lonely and forlorn but a big welcome to this site. Volumes have been written on the questions you posed and of which there is no easy solutions that good taste, research and education will not solve . You are on the right track in the selection of the best vehicle in the world where a fellow can settle down in his Forza seat put his hand on his Moma steering wheel and his arm around his Momo and cruise in reality or in a dream. A bright yellow color suits me and wherever you can get at the best deal for the least money. The chase is more exciting than the capture. You will not learn everything overnight.