HybridZ

I lost my keys. (Or, How to start a Zcar without a key)

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I'm a dope. I can't find the keys to my '71 240z. Can some one tell me the easiest way to start my car and disable the column lock.

Guest super280z

pull the connector off of the back of the key lock and get two jumper wires. sorry i cant remember the exact pins but it was pretty easy for me. :D BTW, you still have that ZX steering rack laying around?

Guest Anonymous

If you had about 20 different old Datsun keys ,there would be one or two that would work. Thieves file down a key to get it to work in about 85% of old Datsun's. On my 280. I drilled out and removed the steering lock mechanisim and installed a 620 pick-up lockset directly to the the plastic steering wheel cover...... I use the bottom end of a seperated old Z ignition set that only requires a screw driver to activate the engine to start when connected to the ignition harness. You can also turn on your electrical system by placing a wire connector between two of the five wires in the ignition wiring harness connector terminal going to the keyed ignition switch. When the gauges operate ,you have found the on position between the correct terminals and now find the starter wire terminal and cross it to the two connected terminals until the engine starts.This is called hot wiring and if you have a slim Jim there is unlimited access to the Midnight Auto Supply House.Children do not try this without adult supervision

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys for the advise. I think i'm gonna just call a lock smith to come and cut me a new key. I sure do still have that steering rack. I'll pull it out if you want it. I'll need to get $50 bucks for it. Come to find out, i don't need ANY parts off this car. I bought it for the rear(R200, 3.90 with CV shafts). But now have decided to go with a R230. Just be aware, there is no good way to make the rack small, so shipping will still bite you in the AZZ.

Guest super280z

Dang Jamie, why cant you live closer to Texas bro?

hehe. are you looking to sell that rear as well? i'd be very interested. im about do the back half of my ZX and im looking for a good r-200. BTW, what color is the interior? hehe... i wish i could just take the whole car off you're hands and make this alot easier for the both of us. i'll drop you an e-mail about the parts.