HybridZ

rb26dett rb20det gearbox

monster260z

Has any one done the rb26 conversion into a 260z and used the 20det gearbox.

Seeing as how the cars are alot lighter im wondering how it would handle it.

Im not building a drift car or a track car just a good fun streeter.

I already have a rb26 , im just not sure i want to chop the wings of on the gearbox mount.

To be honest the few people that I have talked to that have the RB20 and RB20 transmission have had problems with them going out. Even with the RB20 doing street driving like you said. It is because they are getting older and just arnt as beefy as the RB25/26 transmissions. The RB26 is considerably more powerful then the RB20 so you may want to reconsider. Using an RB25 trans from the beginning would probaly save you some money and headaches in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

As far as strength, I think an RB20 box will stand up behind a stock or even mildly bolted on RB26. I think you COULD bust one with the stock twins maxed out if you are really beating on it and had some sticky tires and what not, but for a daily driver, not to many mods, and street tires, it should last for a good long while.

I woudlnt bother with the rb20 tranny. Its basically the same as a stock s30 trans or a 240sx trans. They arent meant to take the power of a rb26.

They ARE the same strength and I wouldn't plan on one for my purposes, but a RB20 tranny will stand up to the power of a stock of mildly modified RB26 on a street car for a good long while. I've seen it quite a few times. Now if you are putting drag slicks on a stock RB26 and beating the ♥♥♥♥ out of it on the track every weekend, it ain't going to last.