HybridZ

350 from a 71 Chevelle in a 280z, need advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a 1971 chevelle with a high performance 350 and a 400 turbo tranny in it.

The body is rusty, so I've just had it sitting up for a long time, but I came

across a 280z with a perfect body and

interior for sale. It has been sitting

up for about 5 years and the guy can't seem

to sell it (it has motor probs).

Anyway, I just recently completed my turbo conversion on my 300zx four seater, and I need a new project. So I'd like to know how difficult/costly it should be to install

the GM motor/tranny setup in the 280z?

Buying the conv kit from motorsport auto

is less than a grand, and the motor and tranny are good, and I can do the work myself, so the conversion shouldn't be that costly, correct?

I would like to know about probs others have come across.

BTW, do think that, with bracket fabrication, I could put the chevelle radiator in the 280, provided that I install a remote fill cap?

You will find that the motor and tranny will fit fine, but the car will be a bit buzzy on the freeway with only 3 speeds in the tranny. The 280 most likely has a 3.54 rear ratio which is not high or low, but is not ideally suited to the tranny combo. However, all things considered, if you are just trying something new for street racing--that is a pretty cool combo.

The Chevelle radiator may actually fit. According to JTR, a mid 70's Nova radiator will fit. Just take some measurements, no biggie. You might want to get a good shroud and/or an electric fan.

Biggest advice would be to buy the JTR book and you can fab your own mounts for much less $$$. Also, they will go through the ins and outs of the swap. You can do it even cheaper than going with MSA. Plus, if you just want to buy the mounts and setback plates, JTR also sells those too--it can only save you money. Good luck.

Davy