HybridZ

Starter compatibility??

Looking through Jeg's I noticed some starters advertised that say they can be used with the 153 or 168 tooth flywheel. The JTR book implies that certain starters are for ceratain flywheels. I already have the 168 tooth flywheel and need a starter. Could I use any of the recommended ones for the 153 tooth flywheel as well? God, I wish I had bought a whole car to do this conversion!!!

If Jeg's says it can be used with either one, then it can. If you call up and ask someone on their help line, they can confirm it for you. It's something I would be concerned about--better to ask before you buy.

Davy

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is "No". You can't use a factory-style 153 tooth starter with a 168 tooth flywheel. The Jegs starters you're looking at have dual bolt-hole patterns that accomodate either spacing, so they can be used with either one. The factory-style starters have only one bolt hole pattern.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...

Guest Anonymous

Scott is correct, Chevy used 2 different starters and flywheels. If you buy one of the dual pattern types from Jegs,be sure to get a gear reduction starter as it turns over much easier and has a greater life span.