HybridZ

suspension geometry modification, i need advice

peej410

Pete,

Steve Smith Auto books has a book on chassis consruction. Its based towards circle track racing but the basics are all there. I have really never found a great chassis book that says "this is how you do it". Specs Seem to change so much that no one keeps up. If anyone knows some beter books or inf. I to, would like to know. As far as the front end goes, I have to ask why. If you want to go to that amount of work you may as well make some wishbones. Or for a similar amount of money you could get a big brake set up from one of the gents here and have a little left over for some new struts that suit the weight of the z, not the f-body.

Cheers,

Douglas

well flares could work but then id have to run a negative offset and i dont want to give up the deep dish wheel look (one of the only aesthetic related things that i care for) the suspension on the Z looks really flimsy. i cant really afford to make my own wishbones and try and get the geometry right. id really like something a bit more sturdy in the front end of my car. if i should just stick with what ive got i guess thats fine. as far as mounting the subframe it mounts almost in the same way the datsun subframe mounts four bolts to the frame rails. do any other cars have setups similar to the datsun that i could steal the suspension from ?

hey all

i have a 72 datsun Z which i bent up a little while ago. the right hand TC rod pushed the frame rail in and then the whole assembly folded upwards so that it was almost hitting my starter. the car is stock, its going to a frame shop to be pulled. i am replacing both frame rails as soon as its back. my question is, are there any options to the 240z front suspension? i recently looked at the whole front suspension out of a 2001 ls1 camaro and i was like hmmm, i took some measurements and its not too far off. i might end up taking 4 inches out of the center subframe to bring it closer to stock specs. what i need is advice on this. i can have the whole front end with struts springs brakes and steering rack for about 750 and its mint but its taking up space in my bosses garage. what things should i think of before i get started with something like this? are there other options at all ? i tried doing a search but i didnt find anything. also does anyone know of where i can get a book on building tube frames? im getting a mig soon and i know how to weld id like to get more info. sorry bout the huge post sorry if it doesnt make sense, i really need opinions and suggestions, thanks for your time - Pete the newbie

Guest Anonymous

It could be done, I'm sure of that. You'd have to use its engine mounts which if the length is different may be in another spot or need different setback plates.

Steering rack would need cutting down on each end and thats all I can think of right now, if I had the stuff and it was a long term project I personally would do it, but I'm not as big a fan of the Datsun suspension design as some people are here.

I guess more correctly, there isn't alot of options that don't take major fabrication.

Oh yeah, if its a rear steer rack instead of front steer like Datsuns (havn't seen a F body one so don't know) then they'll be complications hooking up the stock Nissan steering shaft up to it.

Its an ambitious project, but the result will be pretty cool IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

Pete,

I havent read the Herb addams Book. Let Us know if its any good. I think the idea of using the F-body front end is sound but in practice its not the x-member that would be hard but figureing out how to mount the struts. They may run at a diferent angle to the datsun ones so you would have to re engineer your towers. I would have a hell of a time trying to fugure that out, myself. I am curently tring to redo the struts on my race car and its a nightmare.

Try to have a look at 280z struts. They are a little larger. Dont forget that the race guys put far more through these struts then we ever will one the street. They will also be lighter which is better for handeling and responce.

I am not trying to say dont do it. It would be cool. But if the same or a better result can be done without all the extra work then thats the one I would choose.

You should try to move this over to the Chassis section as well. All the people who know far more than i hang there.

Cheers

Douglas