HybridZ

Borg Warner T5

StrokinIT

So I bought a T5, the guy told me it was out of an 80s mustang or camaro. Anyways, I have just been told that this transmission won't work on my L28, but no reason was given. I am curious about this. I did some reading and searching, and the only thing I could think of would be the input shaft is a different size?

My question is: Will this transmission work with my L28? If not, what would need to be changed?

Thanks.

The T5 tranny came in the 83 turbo 280ZX cars. That tranny has a different bell housing, input shaft and output shaft. Also the shifter is located about 4 inch back on the Nissan T5. So to use your T5 you would need a Nissan bellhousing, tailshaft (modified to fit the larger output shaft), top cover with arms and the input shaft would need to be machined to fit the Nissan pilot bushing.

I hope I did not miss anything.

Also I would make sure that your T5 was a World Class T5 or it would not be worth the work, just my .02.

Hope this help you out some.

HB280ZT

Thanks HB280ZT, that really does help out alot. I guess I'll try and sell the one I have now and see if I can snag an L28et with 5 speed since I'm planning for that turbo swap anyways. That just seems like too expensive for me since I know nothing about transmissions.

Thanks again.

Hey, worst case you can easily sell your t5 on craigslist or ebay for a reasonable amount of money. I'm not sure about up north but down here t5's are actually pretty hard to come by compared to how it was in the past. i'm sure you can come out on top, if not atleast break even.