HybridZ

Replacing my 240z Alternator

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just got my JTR V8 conversion manual. While thumbing thru it I was reading the section on the electrical conversion.

Since I won't be swapping the engine right away, I thought I'd go ahead and replace the stock Datsun alternator with the external VR, with a GM internal regulator unit.

The question is this... Is the alternator wiring connecton the same as described in the JTR manual when just swapping the stock alternator, with the GM unit?? And does anyone know where I can get the new bracket I would need to mount the GM unit?

Thanks

http://zcarcreations.sureshopping.com/searching.asp?cat=Electrical&cR=default

That is where you can find the bracket. I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing as you are. I'm about to make my own bracket though. $$ ouch hint hint

You can find the outline you can use for doing the electrical at that same site here:

http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto.htm

Guest Anonymous

Thanks spotfitz..... I did email them a few weeks ago inquiring about the bracket, and instructions for the conversion and such, but I never received a reply back from them.

Do you know if they are still in biz?? Also have you started to fab your bracket yet?? I got a bud who owns a machine shop, and I was thinking of making my own bracket. I was thinking if there was a big enough demand here on the boards maybe I could do a mass batch of them....

I'm pretty sure they are still in business. I do believe one of our board members runs that site, or something along those lines.

I haven't worked on the bracket as of yet, but was planning on that and several other things to get to this 4 day weekend. I sure hope I get those parts from MSA that I ordered about 2 weeks ago :mad:

I was just going to take some 1"x1" box tubing and weld some ears on that and then find the right spots to drill the holes for mounting, but I haven't given it much thought. What did you have in mind?

Guest Aaron

It is run by Craig Borden (cborden on here). Member number 341. I have not seen any posts on here by him for quite a while. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Guest Anonymous

As far as the bracket goes I'm not quite sure what I have in mind yet...

I went back to the zcreation site and took a look at their bracket.. looks pretty nice for the price... I'm thinking of ordering one up and see how it made, get dimensions off of it and see if it's possible to machine one from a solid piece of metal, without any welds.

I'll let you know.

I'll be measuring for mine tonight and tomorrow, using the original adjuster bracket and the alternator belt as a guide. Lucky for me I just so happen to have a rebuilt block on the stand for me to test things out with. To bad I already primed the oil pump though :(

Well, got the alternator mounted on the block using an alternator bracket I had from an old 260 motor I bought. Heavy duty piece. Just had to do some cutting and then some bending on the adjuster bracket and it's good to go. I plan to start on the wiring tomorrow. This will be fun. Hopefully it will only take me acouple hours instead of acouple days like my last small projects have turned into. Why can't I leave good enough alone? :confused:

Guest Anonymous

Well someone's been working on their car.... I broke down and spent$$ on the alternator bracket from zconversion... I should be seeing it in a few days.

But hey Then I get to spend a few more $$ on a new alternator.