HybridZ

T-5 speedo leak

OK guys I need to see if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do about it?

I have a Borg Warner World Class T-5 from a 1984 Mustang.

I wanted the mechanical speedo to read correctly, so I took it to Precision Speedometer in Anaheim. They added a Clark Brothers external gearbox, and changed the T5 internal gear.

Now it leaks from the tranny/gearbox interface.

I have taken it in for repair eight times, to various shops.

The speedo shop, a tranny shop, two independent wrench shops...nobody has fixed this for more than a day or two. Replaced the gear, the bullet, the external Oring, the internal Orings....no good.

I doubt I can figure it out any better, I think the only thing that will help is direct, similar experience.

Anybody?

Thanks

I

I have taken it in for repair eight times, to various shops.

The speedo shop, a tranny shop, two independent wrench shops...nobody has fixed this for more than a day or two. Replaced the gear, the bullet, the external Oring, the internal Orings....no good.

I doubt I can figure it out any better, I think the only thing that will help is direct, similar experience.

Anybody?

Thanks

We sell speedometer gears for the Chevrolet T5 -- don't have any experience with the Ford T5.

The factory sleeve (or bullet as you call it) has a seal designed to accomodate different driven gears. We buy the parts from GM.

When you buy the sleeve from GM, there are instructions that explain that the seal must be pressed in in some applications. If the Ford is similar, then it is possible the seal has not been pressed in.

Another problem may be the Ford sleeve. With the Chevrolet T5, we use a metal sleeve. Some applications use a plastic sleeve that will not accomodate the external gear box so well.

Thanks Mike,

After assuming a tranny shop would know what they were doing, and finding out they didn't, I searched and found the info about pressing in the sleeve, printed it out and handed it to them. I never could find out if they did it or not.

When I take it apart myself I'll keep it in mind. Although the T5 S/N identifies it as a Ford, maybe they assumed it was GM. I didn't have the info when I brought it in, but assumed they would handle it.