HybridZ

Preparation for MS

evil_datto

I'm about to purchase the MegaSquirt 2 kit & I would like to make sure I'm getting everything I need. I really don't want to have to order more than once.

Car is going on to a 280zx N/A '80, but it uses an N/A version of the '81zxt ECCS (Crank pulley mounted crank angle sensor).

I'll be ordering the unassembled MS2 kit from DIYAutoTune & I'll get the IAT & MAP sensor from the local parts store.

For the idle control, I think I read somewhere that I can make use of the AAC valve.

For the relays, I figure I can just do those myself as well as a small fuse block.

I'm going to try make use of the current wire harness, unless you guys think it's better to make one myself or order the one from DIYAutoTune.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

And also, is the IAT required?

Thanks, Scott.

You REALLY want a stim, without it the only way to test your MS is in the car.

If you have multiple problems, some with the MS itself and some with the in car wiring harness it can be extremely difficult to isolate what is causing the errant behavior.

The standard stim from DIYAutoTune should be sufficient and as a kit is only $45.00, the JimStim which can simulate all sorts of trigger wheels is $59.00. It's money well spent for either of them.

Have a good soldering iron and before you start assembly know what type of trigger you'll be using. When I assembled mine I wasn't sure what car it was going into so installed all the trigger circuits, probably cost me an extra couple hours.

Also you'll want to make sure to know the type of injectors you have, high or low impedance. If you have low impedance injectors you'll need a resistor pack to limit current flow through them.

OK then, I'll probably get the stim kit. My uncle will be soldering everything together since he's much better than me.

For the trigger, I'm going to use the stock crank angle sensor trigger wheel. I read it has to be rotated 72* to provide MS with the correct trigger signals. Shouldn't be too hard.

Is making use of the original wiring harness be easy, or would you guys recommend using the MS wiring harness instead?

Also for that wiring harness, I don't see a wire for the MAP sensor, should it be there?

Thanks for the replies.

The stock harness won't have enough of the wires where you want them to be in my opinion. You'll either need to buy a few spools of 16ga or pony up for the nicely labeled and color coded wiring kit. You pick. I wasn't as strapped for cash so I bought the wire and I was glad I did.