HybridZ

Sreaming noise under hood

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Sometimes when I'm driving and I open the throttle, torwards the higher RPMs it makes a kinda of a scream. If it does it too bad I let off, but normally you can barely hear it. It sounds like it has something to do with a belt, wether it's the belt or something that the belt drives. I had the power steering belt replaced not too long ago, I don't know if that information helps. And also when I start my car the belt makes a constant sqeaking noise. I don't know what that is either.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a loose or dried out fan belt. Take a hold of the fan belt one at a time and check for tension and/or hardness. The tension or what you can stretch should be about (subjectively) 1/4 inch back and forth

Make sure the engine is not running when you check. :D There was a story around here about 10 years ago that a dad told his 16 year old son to check his belts because they were squealing. The boy went outside, started his car up, and grabbed a belt with one hand. eek2.gif As the story goes, the dad told the boy that he was stupid enough to get his fingers cut off, then he could drive himself to the hospital. nono.gif Don't know if it is true, but it was quite entertaining at the time.

Most likely the fan/alternator belt. Besides the annoying noise you'll liable to have battery charge and /or overheating problems soon too. You don't want it too tight either, be able to deflect the belt about 3/4" or so after you've tightenned it. There is a belt dressing sold at auto stores you could try is the tension is OK and the belt is in OK condition. DAW