HybridZ

common??

Guest zphreek

Guest zphreek

hey guys, i was just wondering if it is very common for a NEW mechanical fuel pump on a 240z (cammed, header, slightly modded SUs...) to vapor lock while running?? i used to drive a 280 and it would vapor lock practically every time i shut it off, and my 240 does sometimes when i shut if off pretty hot. but mainly if i am driving slowish while it is about 80 degrees outside it starts to do it. one time i went thru the drivethru at Mcdonalds and almost ended up pushing my Z out of the way because it started doing it.

Guest Anonymous

I always considered "vapor lock' not a fuel pump problem but fuel getting hot and percolating in thr fuel line from engine heat/hot weather/close location to exhaust. I lived in the midweswt for a few years and had a truck that would vapor lock. I insulated the fuel line and then installed an auxillary S19.95 JC Whitney electric fuel pump operated by a switch on the dash. One time after a hard hot drive after stopping for fuel, it started to vapor lock, I switched on the auxilary electric fuel pump ..hit second gear and away I went . When the temperature gauge indicated things cooled down I switched the electric pump off. Only rig I ever had that would vapor lock.