HybridZ

Brand spanken new Datsun Fan

Guest Anonymous

theoompaloompa: "Most V8 swaps i've seen have major issues with weight distribution unless done correctly"

Dude, that is just a retarded thing to say. Firstly, Anything done incorrectly is bound to have problems. Secondly, what are these "problems" you allude to anyway? I could refer you to a huge, 100+ thread on Scarab vs. JTR (if search was working) that makes it difficult to even say that a V8 swap done "incorrectly" will have problems on a road course.

However, there certainly are issues with a V8 swap that are not simple and straight-forward, even if you simply buy the complete JTR kit.

But if yer talkin cheapo performance swap, I don't think V8 vs. L28T is any kind of easy decision by a longshot. By my rough estimates while researching this, a low budget swap of either engine works out about the same, +/- 100 and or 40hrs of labor or so.

In other threads, planning has been emphasized and this is good. What would you like to end up with is what you should ask yourself. Performance, drivability (economy), reliability, parts and know-how availability, etc. But this is really a two-fold question. Because if you're considering a swap, it suggests something about you. You really won't ever be done until you either sell the car (or wreck it) or you die. Therefore there is the short-term and the long term. Do you want to work and work until some final culmination (ala pparaska)? Or do you want to mod, drive, mod, drive, mod (ala, I dunno, I'm a pretty good example). From there, the other two Major considerations are time and money. But a hidden issue that runs thru this whole discussion is basic luck.

In other words, if I had happened upon a complete, running L28T setup, would I be where I am now with my project? Very likely not. Things come up, both good and bad. Be flexible.