HybridZ

What do I need to do?

Guest Maxwell

Guest Maxwell

A friend of mine owns a 71 z, but it's been sitting for 5 years now... So what do you guys think we need to do to get it started? He put new tires on it, new battery, and filled the brake/clutch fluid. I guess well change the oil first, then put in some 93 gas with gas treatment. Then what?

I believe it has tripple webbers, and an upgraded ignition...

Thanks for any help...

Max

Okay, nobody's bitten yet, so I'll give it a whack. Pull the spark plugs, and pour an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil into each spark plug hole. Let it sit overnight. While you're waiting, you can check vital fluids you may have forgotten about, drain the gas tank, replace the fuel filters (this WILL need to be done. After 5 years you will not have gasoline in the tank, you'll have varnish. If you run the car with bad gas in the tank, you'll probably end up hating yourself for it after the crap clogs all your filters and fuel passages, and putting in a few gallons of high octane gasoline on top of a few gallons of bad gas won't necessarily make things better in there.) If the tank was drained before storage, then by all means skip this step. Clean the windshield, drink beer, etc. etc. etc.

The next morning, turn the engine by hand a few times with a big wrench to make sure things are all moving smoothly. If it all turns freely, *I* would suggest taking off any accessory drive belts to the A/C compressor or smog pump. That way you can more easily locate odd noises. Then crank the engine without the spark plugs in place for a dozen revolutions. Put a towel over the engine to catch the MM oil that might come spewing out of the plug holes, by the way. If everything still sounds good, it turns freely and you seem to have oil pressure, put the plugs in and try to crank it up. Yeah, it'll smoke like a freight train for a few minutes while it burns off the MM oil, but after that you should be okay.

Then have your friend drive slowly around while you look at the car from all angles and make sure everything's still where it belongs. 5 years is a lot to ask from brake caliper seals, etc.

If you rush things, you can severely reduce the expected lifespan of an otherwise good engine, or ruin it completely. Take it slow. Motors, like people, don't react well to being awaken suddenly.

Good luck!

Guest Maxwell

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks for the input. I figure the worst thing is going to be the gas, or lack of gas to the motor. Not to sure about how to clean the lines...

Thanks

Max