HybridZ

Strokers' Thing of the future???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Wondering whether small block strokers are what the world is going to. Heard this on TV also i.e. 'Hot Rod TV'. Reasoning is less Dollars more power. Does the makeup still include longer rods to call yourself a stroker. I guess also lesser revs, more low end torque. What do you experts think and what is your experience? I know its a genereal question but what the hell.

Experts, well count me out bonk.gif My experience is they are the hot item in the Hot Rod community right now.

Stroke, destroke what ever, Chevy, Ford heck there everywhere perhaps thats why I'm building a sbc 383 this winter :D

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I had a 84 camaro Z28 with what I found out was a 'stroker type' setup 302 SBC. It was rated I think at 190 HP but did 0-60 in under 7 seconds. But is was a gas to drive due to low end torque. My NA 300ZX is a ball to drive but you need to get up to 4k plus to feel the HP. I am thinking that depending on how you like to drive will determine preference. I really dont know how my 289 '66 block' pro built mill is since the builder has left the area. My 1977 289/280Z is not running as yet, I hope it is set up as a stroker. I wonder how I could tell for sure before the 280 is in operation.

Steve

Guest Anonymous

I will always be impressed with the destroked 302 SBC in the Z 28 Camaros that originally comprised of a 327 4 bolt main 4 inch bore block with a 3 inch stroke small journal 283 crank. This engine screamed between 50 and 85 mph and pinned you to the seat. I do not see why a person could not put a large journal 283 crank in a 350 block and make a 302. Should be a natural for a Hybrid z in going to point z from point a

The old Chev 302 was a destroker to meet CID limits for Trans Am. GENERALLY, you will lose hp destroking, because rpm limit doesn't vary linearly with stroke, it varies with the SQUARE ROOT of stroke. I.e., reduce stroke by 10% and you only increase your redline by about 5.4%, not enough to make up for the lost displacement. Even accounting for improved rod length/stroke ratio, destroking almost always loses, and stroking almost always wins (I know this is true with L6s, haven't run the numbers for SBC). Plus you improve torque EVERYWHERE up to redline with a stroker, whereas with destroking you reduce torque everywhere for only a minimal gain in redline rpm. One more thing, the idea that a destroked motor will rev up more quickly than a stroker is a myth. Unless you're talking about revving them with a hand crank.

Guest Anonymous

Just another thought, strokers aren't really anything of the future, they're from the past, although its correct they are in vogue now due to the availability of cheap aftermarket cranks and kits to do it. They've been stroking motors since people starting hopping them up. The used to stroke old model t motors for more hp, and the flatty fords I believe was often done using a merc crank or something for more stroke, the flatty responded as well to stroking.

If I were doing a stroker now it'd probably be a 383. The Ford and Mopar camps have some very impressive strokers as well (426 ford from a 351? 394 mopar from what a 340 or 360?) Any of those packages I'm sure would make a potent Z package, that I'm quite sure of as many members here can attest.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

As Lone said, strokers have been around as long as the internal combustion engine has. Long stroke engines were the standard for a long time due to the added torque. That changed as engine makers went from L-head engines to OHC and OHV and the increased rpm potential due better breathing port designs. For info sake, there is no such thing as a large-journal 283 crank as the 283 never had the large journals; a factory 3" stroke large-journal crank will always be the forged 302 unit. (The short-lived 262ci V8 did use a cast 3.10" stroke crank.) From what I've seen, the primary reason for strokers is increased displacement without the penalty of the increased weight and size of a big-block motor; otherwise a 347 SBF and a 383 SBC make no sense because a 351W and 396 BBC are stronger built engines with bigger bearings and better rod:stroke ratios.