HybridZ

Water\Alky Injection Design Help!

BLKMGK

Okay, I'm trying to design a water injection system that I can run from my ECU sort of like an injector. I've run into an area or two where I'm stumped and would appreciate some help.

Starting at the pump - I'm looking to use a http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/industry/general/product_data/pds-8000-543-138.pdf Shurflo 100PSI pump or an http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=53251&categoryId=0 equivilant. The heavier duty pump will be able to handle nasty stuff like Methanol better smile.gif The Shurflo also appears to be able to handle it pretty well but I'm paranoid.

I figure I'll use about a gallon poly tank as my supply in the hatch (still sourcing this). Between the pump and nozzle I'll use an accumulator such that the pump can charge the line and not need to run all of the time per this site. Somewhere in there will be a sintered bronze filter - Earl's makes a $30 one that would be fine as do others. Bronze won't corrode from Methanol I don't think and I'd run Uplon additive or something like it if anything corrosive went through anyway.

Nozzles will most likely be Aquamist or possibly something similiar. Lot's of options for nozzles it seems! Oil burner nozzles even get used sometimes along with Agri sprayers.

Where I run into trouble is finding a high speed relay or solenoid to pulse the nozzle :( That one flows 500CC and looks good but is expensive and I'm not sure 500CC will be enough. I'm looking to control this like an injector!

I know someone who is doing this using a high speed relay of sorts to control pump speed and ramp it up for higher flow but I'm not sure I want to do that. I'd prefer to have a pressurized system with a pump running only as needed to keep system pressure up. I've not been able to find a high speed relay either for that matter :( He's selling his kit at a reasonable price (if anyone is interested lemme' know) but I think what I want to do is different enough that I'd wind up not using enough of his stuff to make it worth my while to build my own.

Anyway, with all of the expertise on this board and the interest in things turbocharged I figured I'd ask here. Who wants to help design a nice water injection system? ;)

P.S. I've not decided on hose yet but air compressor hose might be an option. Something cheap with readily available brass fittings that I can disconnect to remove the tank and pump from the car on a seperate board. smile.gif

P.P.S. I give up on those first few URLs. Argh!

Wow, I figured at least someone would be interested in this! If you spray Methanol you can drop intake temps BIGTIME on a turbocharged car. Here this L28T guys?

Meth is corrosive and requires treatments to prevent this but it can make some noticable power differences. WaterAlky can help stave off detonation even on intercooled cars. I'm down to only really needing to figure out one thing - a solid state relay of sorts - so that I can ramp up power to the pump. I've pretty much given up on a solenoid to pulse the spray since all of the ones I find that are good flow too little :(

Guest Fast Frog

BLKMGK:

My experience is several yrs old, but I had 3 diff water/alky setups back when my car was turboed. The best one was made by Spearco. The sys was pressurized by a small wiper fluid type pump attached to the bottom of the container. Of course the pressure was constant and did not increase under load. The sys was not interactive with the ECU. Rather, it was activated by a pneumatic pressure switch set at 3 lbs of boost which turned on the pump. Perhaps today the state of the art for water/alky inj has vastly improved along the same line as using NOS.

I've used water straight and I've mixed alky with water. The best mix was around 50/50. Much more than that the alky becomes combustable. Much less than that and you begin to lose the effervescent cooling effect of the alky. At no time did I experience any noticable performance increase just by using the mixture. It only allowed one to tweak up the turbo boost 2 or 3 lbs for more power. The water/alky mixture cools and condenses the inlet air thereby reducing detonation and allowing more boost. If your flow is to great, you'll actually lose power and stand a chance of water accummulating in the cylinders. Too much water in the cyls will create hydraulic shock to the pistons and cause engine damage(water does not compress :( ) However, an engine using the right amount of water/alky is a cleaner better running engine!

Rick

I'm aware of some of the other systems out there and of the previous GM efforts. I know someone right now who's putting enough methanol into his turbo car that he's using it for a fuel smile.gif The temp drop in the intake is HUGE! My goal is to be able to run race gas like boost on pump gas!

Right now I know what pump to use, what nozzles I'll probably use, and how I'll control it. What I'm looking to figure out at the moment is where to source some sort of high speed solid state relay smile.gif I need to be able to use a low amperage pulsed input to control a higher voltage pump with something that's not mechanical. Oh, need to source a fluid tank too but that's easy enough. Hrm, will have to figure out exactly what nozzles I'll want to use but as cheap as they are I can try a few ;)

P.S. Looks like I'll be modifying duty of the pump rather than an injector-like solenoid. The solenoid deal just flows too little :(