HybridZ

My compression test and questions

powershotnt

1981 280zx 217K miles

Car is hard to start. When warmed up under no load it revs good and smooth. Slight blue smoke. When in gear driving it coughs and hesitates till over 3000rpm. When cold after a few seconds of idling it coughs and back fires thru air cleaner when rev'd and smokes more than when warm.

My test results when using starter only removing 1 plug at a time.

#1. 141#

#2. 143#

#3. 143#

#4 141#

#5. 135#

#6. 137#

I have searched this forum and googled and looked thru shop manual.

What is a good compression for the L28E (non turbo)?

Any Ideas on cold start and under 3000rpm issues?

I have changed fuel filter,cap and rotor.

I pulled the plugs when I did the compression check. I have to redo the compression check because I did it on a cold engine.My buddy told me it should be warm to get accurate readings? The plugs looked really good.

I did have to change 3 different vacuum lines because they were bad.

I will go thru and check all of them. Thanks for the list of sensors to check.

numbers look OK.

compression gages can be wrong but the numbers look consistent which is the important thing.

low compression numbers typically means a stretched timing chain which retards the cam timing.

popping out the intake means a lean mixture and/or retarded ignition timing.

a bad TTS can make it hard to start when cold.

balancers slip which cause the timing mark to move, which will make adjustments to the ignition timing wrong (retarded). check for true tdc to see if the balance has moved.

change the valve stem seals to stop the smoke.

If you can source a friend with a cylinder leak down tester, you may find that all your cylinders aren't near as equal as the compression test shows. A bad piston oil ring may mask a cylinder that has bigger problems. A leak down test will find the problem with the lower numbers (if warming the engine up prior to the compression test doesn't help).

Thank you gentlemen. Took it to my buddys late sunday afternoon and he took his stethascope and told me #3 and #4 valves were ticking..so I am going to adjust the vavles this weekend..o.k...I know a ton of abreviations but I have searched this forum for TTS and cannot find it.. Throttle position sensor? I have the worst luck..One day I find the full list of abreviations and the next day could spend 2 hrs and not find it!(on this forum)

I realize this thing has got 217k miles on it but it is going to be years and trips back and forth to the body shop and various other places so before I do the V8 swap and complete the restoration I need to drive it. I will ask around for a leak down tester.

This weekend find true TDC and check my balancer. These are easy tries and cost me nothing..Too bad I have to tell my wife "sorry dear..honey do list is gonna have to wait." Thank you for the ideas.

I washed my engine down heavily with degreaser when I first got the car. The boots on all the connections are rotted. I got water into the TPS plug and it went into limp home mode. I will disconnect each sensor 1 by 1 and clean them..thank you. I really like the non $$$ tries at fixing it. :)