HybridZ

Door seal fit

Has anyone found door seals that allow the doors to close properly. I stripped off the original ones prior to painting my 240Z (which were the OEM glued on type). The first set I tried were also glue on type but were reproductions of some type and were a terrible fit, preventing the doors from closing unless the full weight of my backside was used. While I could get it to latch the door was bowed out as much as 1 inch at the bottom. The next set came from MSA and were actually the one piece version used on the 280Z's (MSA said they would fit). After installing these and carefully pounding the channels tight all around I had exactly the same poor fit. I even tried loosening the door hinge bolts to see if I could gain any adjustment. Still no good. After looking at a friends car with OEM seals it looks like the seals are thinner and much more pliable. So.....any ideas what to try next or where I can get OEM seals (I'm told they are unavailable)??? Arghhhhhh!!!

Wait until next August to install your door seals. A few days in the hot sun will compress them nicely. I did mine a couple years ago and had problems similar to what you've experienced. I shut the doors tightly (bulged) and let the car sit in the sun for a few days. They conformed quite well. That's the only advantage I can think of for living in the desert in the summer.

Dennis

A few are having good luck with the Kia Sportage seals from pick n pull, I couldn't find a Sportage so I used 2 1/2 doors from a Kia Spectra. In the heavy rain we've had here so far they seem to be working very well. I had a small leak but it was due to me not glueing? the cut section together at the bottom of the door. Which I have still yet to finish...:mrgreen:

Here's the link to the thread-

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153925

I had the same problem last spring. I spent 2 days with a blow drier heating 12-24inch sections then closing the door and letting it sit for and hour or so before going to the next section . I started with what seemed to be the thickest section and used a cardboard shield on the body paint and blue painters tape on the door paint. It was a slow process but worked well ..good luck.

This is a problem and the factory seals are the only ones that fit properly. I had heard how hard the factory seals were to find four or five yaers ago when I started purchasing parts for my rebuild. They were very hard to find at that time. But I found a set at Courtsey Nissan in Texas. I never looked at them closely. As the car build was finishing and we installed them. We found out that someone had rebagged a left side door seal in a bag marked rigt side. So I had previously purchased a complete weather stripping kit and had an after market right side door seal. As the factorys are not available, we installed the after market brand from MSA on the right side and yes it takes a precisly placed hand on the door and a slaaaaam to get it shut. However, my left side with the factoty seal closes fine. I understand that with time and heat, thing will relax (compress) and things will eventually fit. I am still waiting it has been eight months with out much heat exposier.