HybridZ

Desk Lamp

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

I know many people here are great fabricators so I thought I'd start seeing what I can get out of here.

I am looking at building a desk lamp, using some extra automotive parts, but I don't know anything about LED's. I am going to start searching about them soon, but I was trying to see if anyone here has done something like this and have any hints, tips, or information. I have been looking at: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/MR16_specs.htm

stuff and here is a main idea I've been looking at:

http://www.motoart.com/lighting/radial-engine-piston-lamps

Radial_engine_piston-lamp2.jpg Looks pretty cool. If you are married, please check with your wife first. I have a very cool wife, but I know where to draw the line in terms of what is acceptable for the interior of the home. She is very accommodating, but I am careful to get her opinion before hanging a work of art in the home. The last one I did was a framed piece of beer bottle caps (sounds stupid but is very cool looking, I swear) so it hangs in the hallway. She actually likes it :D

When it comes to fabricating, I have mostly made brackets to hang items in the garage, using both aluminum and steel. I hang everything from hoses, to electrical cords, to wheels. All of the brackets look pretty darn cool too :2thumbs:

Good luck with your fabrication of such a lamp--it would be really cool if you made several and sold the others to offset the cost of your own.

BTW, Motoart had a reality show made of them back a number of years ago. It was pretty cool for a reality show and I believe preceded the one for Orange County Choppers.

Davy

Hey,

Thanks! They will most likely be random gifts for my parents. My Dad is a car guy and would love it, and my Mom and stepfather always like anything I build and we have a game room that it would go well in. I would also keep 1 or 2 for myself to keep in the game room or garage, when I graduate and get a place. I'll probably start these in January when I get more time and I'll keep you all updated. Anything extra, I might sell!