HybridZ

remote oil filter

I have been considering a remote oil filter adapter. That would allow more clearance for headers, as well as let me plumb in an oil cooler.

I would like to mount the oil filter somewhere that wont require clean up once the oil filer is removed... IE with nothing under it.

Anyone have a good spot, with pics?

• Administrators

Here's mine, quoted from this thread;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=154591

I did a remote oil filter, placed it on 45 degree angle, driver-side frame rail forward of the rack, just behind the radiator. Made oil changes a breeze and did allow a little more freedom in exhaust routing, not having to make room for oil filter changes. :2thumbs:

280Z-V8Custom.jpg

Here's another thread, same topic;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=137027

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

Mines in almost the same place as Pauls. I mounted mine vertical rather than angled though. One of my hoses runs though the factory hole in the motor mount tower. I used a four fitting filter mount and ran my oil pressure sender off of one of the fittings (no cooler used).

fbs01r16f22.jpg

18DJ_R2_.jpg

The location where Dan and Paul have their oil filters mounted gives a lot of room. I saw Dan's in person once and was convinced to mount mine in a similar manner--the install is clean, vertical for a no-drip situation when changing filters, and easy to get to without obstructions. It appears that one can change the filter by just reaching up underneath the car. Nice.

Davy

I dont know what Dan's got going on.

I realize he has an oil cooler after the filter.

Why the extra in and out port on the filter mount?

In my head it goes like this.

unfiltered oil from the motor, going to the filter, oil leaving the filter going to the cooler. leaving the cooler going back to the engine...

not... leaving the cooler going back to the filter?

Ive seen this before, just never thought about it.

I dont know what Dan's got going on.

I realize he has an oil cooler after the filter.

Why the extra in and out port on the filter mount?

In my head it goes like this.

unfiltered oil from the motor, going to the filter, oil leaving the filter going to the cooler. leaving the cooler going back to the engine...

not... leaving the cooler going back to the filter?

Ive seen this before, just never thought about it.

Actually I don't have an oil cooler. The remote mount I'm using has the extra fittings to run one but I'm not using them for that. One is plugged and the other has my oil pressure sender mounted to it.

This mount has an IN and an OUT on each side. I chose this one because the other type with only one IN and OUT have one of the fittings on top. My mount allows for a lower profile and points the hoses directly where I wanted them to go without adding an extra elbow. It cost a little bit more but not much. It was only after I had it mounted that I discovered it would be a convenient place to mount the pressure sender.

That orange car is obviously well executed but oil filter changes would require some clean up. All drips from my filter changes go directly to the pan (or the floor!).

Thank your for the information. That looks like the way i want to go. I guess it has 4 ports, just for better mounting options. I plan on running something similiar in style to yours, with the addition of an oil cooler.

I plan on mine seeing extended street time, hopefully plenty of highway miles, and should see upper RPMs often.

Thanks guys.