HybridZ

Electric Locks Part II

RPMS

Okay, sports fans. In a previous post I told you I was going to attempt to graft the central locking system of a BMW into my Z, and I'm here to tell ya that it was a pain in the keester, but it works. While I was fooling around with the locks, I figured that would be the best time to put in the security system as well, and between that and fiddling with the window mechanism for two hours, I didn't finish the whole job. I got the brain boxes and the driver's side lock motor installed though, and now I can unlock the car from a good distance. Next weekend I'll try to install the passenger side and hatch lock motor, and take pictures of the process in case anyone wants to duplicate my folley.

One of the features the BMW system has that other systems lack is a nifty little sensor that automatically unlocks all of the doors after a crash. That way if you're unconscious, rescue workers can get to you without resorting to breaking the glass.

Anyway, it was a success, and I'm pleased that the job went relatively smoothly. Adding the remote locks and alarm system probably added five pounds to the weight of the car, but that five pounds bought me a lot of convenience and peace of mind. Well worth it, in my opinion.