HybridZ

changing leather seat color

Guest monteg

Hey anyone out there know of a good paint/dye to use to change some grey leather seats to black?

I used SEMS and the paint/dye did not seem to stick or seal correctly.

any advise would be appreciated?

Thanks

Monteg

I have used SEM with great success. The ONLY time it did not work correctly was when the surface was not prepped correctly.

I suspect that you have some kind of leather conditioner or oils, etc, that are still there. That would be the only thing holding it back from taking the dye/paint properly.

If you could get it, carbontetrachloride is AWESOME stuff for getting out any contamination from fabrics, etc. Too bad it is a bit toxic and very hard to find now. They used the stuff as a dry cleaning fluid way back when.

Davy

DavyZ,

any other advice on what chemical to use to plus the contaminates,oil,etc. from the surface before redoing them.

I used a chemical the paint shop gave me, (do not remember the name of it) silver can, smelled like a strong commercial type alcohol to prep last time but did not work.

Thanks

Some of my buddies on the BMW lists have used Surflex products with great success. They report both the dye and the leather softener (the manufacturer calls it "soffener") have gotten rave reviews. One popular source is:

Color-Plus

3767 Sunrise Lake

Milford, PA 18337

Phone (570) 686-3158

Fax (570) 686-4161

www.colorplus.com/home.html

8-oz costs $26.75. Black is a standard color, but they can custom match a sample.

Good luck!