HybridZ

81 280zx 2+2 long term project

powershotnt

Got the car for free from a friend. Got it running..poorly but it goes down the road..kinda. The body guy/fabricator wanted it running to do the frame and floor repairs. My daughter (12 yrs old)and I spent the 1st weekend pulling the interior..and getting horrified by the rust we found. Took it to my body guy and he is going to fix The frame rails/rear suspension front mounts and floor pans for $500.

Took out all the interior trim peices..alot of them are broken. The carpet was trashed. Also somebody tried to redo this car before and gave up. the interior used to be blue but they rattlecanned the plastic black. Put carpet on the doorpanels and headliner. The passenger door would not open..or unlock. Sprayed WD-40 on the mechanism and after awhile it opened!!!!!

Each time I work on this I get discouraged because I found alot of big problems. I have told my wife 5 times at least it is going to my buddy's recycling yard. I have used this forum to learn so many things..including there is actually a shift key on my keyboard!. I have searched and looked at dozens of websites and the parts I need for the interior and exterior are not available for the s130 or it is available for the coupe only!!!

Here comes HybridZ. I have found so many very very good solutions to all my problems here.

DSCN1538_thumb.jpg

DSCN1539_thumb.jpg

19195_thumb.attach

DSCN1541_thumb.jpg

I forgot..I jumped ahead a little bit. I decided to go with the MSA bumper and lower skirt option Because I cannot find any decent bumpers as replacement for mine. I decided to go ahead and take off the rear bumper to see how it is. I didn't mention that the car came with a FSM did I?

Anyway the rear valance and bumper are guess what??? rust city. It was funny as i was banging away and tapping here and there..chunks of rust was falling off the car. The driverside rear quarter behind the wheel you can put your hand thru. The body guy seen this and the underside part of the repair is part of his original repair estimate. The outer quarter panel is another story though. I did some sanding and found some bondo on the rear corner by the tail light also. I am just tinkering around with the car for now. I do need to get the floors and hatch area stripped of the rubbery stuff before it goes to him for repairs. Once he gets the floors and frame rails repaired then I can bring her home and finish stripping everything off of her...look at the rear of the car with no bumper and look at the underside of the bumper.. By the way..i need a decent rear bumper reinforcement for the MSA install....that is a couple years away anyway.

DSCN1542_thumb.jpg

DSCN1543_thumb.jpg

The drivers side floor was really hard..i guess the exhaust running thru there makes it bond harder. Had what I thought was a minor hole in the driverside floor..turned out to be huge. Also took steering column covers off and lower dash panel and found a wiring mess.. Now it is just wait for my bonus check and drive it to the body shop for repairs. Then I can start on redoing the suspension front and rear..that should take me a year or two. Look at the gaps in the aftermarket front fender!!!!

DSCN1573_thumb.jpg

DSCN1569_thumb.JPG

DSCN1574_thumb.jpg

DSCN1572_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Did some more tinkering. A little sample sanding here and there and found alot of body rust. I have a line on a different chasis. Waiting to go get it before I decide what to do. There is so much rust inside the unibody cavities that I don't beleive this thing is worth saving. I am not going to start drilling spot welds and disassemble this whole car.